Traeger gourmet premium pellets ar costco

Bik

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with these pellets. 33 lb bag at Costco is $20. Im currently using the cookingpellets.com perfect mix on my 700, And have been satisfied with that product . I have read that traeger was sued over their pellets not being as advertised, being flavored with oils rather than the real hardwood. If anyone has used this particular product would appreciate learning about your experience with it.

I have used both. I used the Traegers from Costco for about a year and a half exclusively, I had no issues with the results. I have since switched to Cookin Pellets perfect mix for 2 reasons, first i live close to where they are manufactured so I can get them for $21-22 a 40 lb bag so the price is right. Second I have found there is much less dust and crushed up pellets at the bottom of the bags I get so I feel like I’m getting more usable pellets per bag.

From a taste perspective I have not noticed any difference in the flavor of the meats I have smoked since switching brands. That’s just me other’s may feel differently.

Bottom line I think you are fine using either, I’d go with whichever is more convenient/cheaper.

I have used both. I used the Traegers from Costco for about a year and a half exclusively, I had no issues with the results. I have since switched to Cookin Pellets perfect mix for 2 reasons, first i live close to where they are manufactured so I can get them for $21-22 a 40 lb bag so the price is right. Second I have found there is much less dust and crushed up pellets at the bottom of the bags I get so I feel like I’m getting more usable pellets per bag.

From a taste perspective I have not noticed any difference in the flavor of the meats I have smoked since switching brands. That’s just me other’s may feel differently.

Bottom line I think you are fine using either, I’d go with whichever is more convenient/cheaper.
appreciate your thoughts. that is a great price you pay for the perfect mix, 1/2 of what i pay. still, i am happy with the product. it burns clean, i can get the grill hot when desired , and the auger works well with it. I've noticed i cant really taste a difference between different woods, only that some have a smokier flavor, others less so. i really think of the wood strictly as fuel, in which case the one that burns well and doesn't muck up the machinery may be the least expensive in the long run. thanks for your response.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with these pellets. 33 lb bag at Costco is $20. If anyone has used this particular product would appreciate learning about your experience with it.
BLK, i bought a bag at Costco and just started using them on a brisket cook tonight. I am having major issues with temp control in my 700. Feed rate factory set 3.0, no issues with either pitboss or weber pellets. Traeger are running twix 270 and 280 frequently on a 250 set. Firebox and hopper vacuum cleaned before new pellets went in. Ill be using these up and then going back to pitboss... not at all happy. I think the T team is trying to sow seeds of discontent...

Have used them for a long time without issue. I don’t really like the blends though. Just picked up some Traeger hickory bags at Home Depot.

I much prefer the single flavors - hickory for steak and bacon, mesquite for pork and brisket, and apple for poultry.

BLK, i bought a bag at Costco and just started using them on a brisket cook tonight. I am having major issues with temp control in my 700. Feed rate factory set 3.0, no issues with either pitboss or weber pellets. Traeger are running twix 270 and 280 frequently on a 250 set. Firebox and hopper vacuum cleaned before new pellets went in. Ill be using these up and then going back to pitboss... not at all happy. I think the T team is trying to sow seeds of discontent...
Sorry to learn

Sorry to learn of your issues. I have been using the traeger for a little while and for my usage they work fine. I cook at higher temps350 -500 and the pellets hold at these Temps same as the rectecs. On the rare occasion I cook ribs or other meat @265 worked fine. Maybe call customer support and discuss the issue?

I have used several flavors of the Traeger pellets and had no issues with temp control. I'm running Lumberjack right now and feel like they are lasting longer than the Traeger did. The Lumberjack are not readily available for me, so I will continue to try others until I find a readily available pellet that I like and can afford.

Sorry to learn of your issues. I have been using the traeger for a little while and for my usage they work fine. I cook at higher temps350 -500 and the pellets hold at these Temps same as the rectecs. On the rare occasion I cook ribs or other meat @265 worked fine. Maybe call customer support and discuss the issue?
yep - I'm thinking it's gotta be something I'm overlooking... probably something stupidly simple (for mere mortals that is - I am godlike in my ability to FUBAR things... ;) )

For what it’s worth, I have used several bags and different flavors of Traeger pellets from Costco. They work but Traeger adds an oil (they claim it’s a lubricant not an oil, which is weird logic in my opinion). I’m not sure there are any long term effects but it just doesn’t seem appealing. I asked their representative about the added oil and I was told it assists with their grills’ feed process. Glad RecTeq believes in gravity. Haha. Also, on my RT700, they run at around 465 degrees versus the 500 degree setting I get out of the RecTeq blend. Others may have different experiences.
Just my 2cents worth but you get what you pay for.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back