Tough thighs

Hamp

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Well I did chicken thighs on the 590 today. I brined them for the first time for 2.5 hours. I smoked them for an hour at 180 and then cooked them at 275 to an IT of 173. I did not flip them. I let them rest for an hour. It was the juiciest tastiest chicken I’ve ever eaten! BUT…the skin was tough to the point of being inedible. What did I do wrong??

Once smoked at that low temp, you need to ramp up the pit temp to get the skin crispy. I usually go to 400, but I'm sure others will chime in on their favorite temps. The skin fat needs high heat to render out the fat for 30 min or so. You should also pat dry the skin before seasoning. Baking powder also helps with crispness. Usually a half teaspoon along with the rub.

I did dry the skin before I seasoned it. What about flipping it at some point? Thanks for your input!

Chicken dosen't like to be cooked at low temps like this the skin will not render down even if the temperature is turned up in the later period of the cook it will come out tough and rubbery.

I have had better luck at higher temps of 350 - 375 and using the baking powder mixed with rub. After applying the rub allow the chicken to sit overnight in the fridge (preferably on a rack) so the baking powder can work the magic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back