Total pellet clean out?

Big Boy 73

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
We will be leaving the area for the winter and I have a question I nee help with. If I want to winterize my RT-590 and remove all the pellets from the hopper I assume I can just vacuum it out. My question is, how do I go about cleaning all of the pellets out of the auger so they don't get damp and cause a jam up. I'm new to pellet grills and I just want it to be ready to go this spring when we get back home.

Empty the hopper, then start the grill and let it run until it goes out. recteq actually recommends doing this on a regular basis to get pellet dust out of the auger, but I’ve never emptied mine.

We will be leaving the area for the winter and I have a question I nee help with. If I want to winterize my RT-590 and remove all the pellets from the hopper I assume I can just vacuum it out. My question is, how do I go about cleaning all of the pellets out of the auger so they don't get damp and cause a jam up. I'm new to pellet grills and I just want it to be ready to go this spring when we get back home.
Stick the vacuum hose end right over what exposed auger you can see in the pellet hopper and the firepot. You will be surprised how much of the pellets you can suck out of the auger tube. Then start the grill as Greg suggest to get everything.

Empty the hopper, then start the grill and let it run until it goes out. recteq actually recommends doing this on a regular basis to get pellet dust out of the auger, but I’ve never emptied mine.
Thank you very much.

Thanks for the info.

Will the grill shut itself off when it runs out of pellets?

Will the grill shut itself off when it runs out of pellets?
That I do not know. It shouldn’t take too long to run dry. You could set a low temp on the app, and when you get the warning that it is losing temp you will know it is out.

If you go into diagnostics you can run the auger w/o a fire and then vac out the pellets. With it sitting over winter probably not a good idea to leave ashes in the pot anyway.

As someone else mentioned, put it in test mode. Hold the settings button down until it goes into test mode - about 4 seconds and then you can cycle through the modes by pressing the power button. You will Aug appear on screen then it will start turning. I did just the other day, stand there and sucked the pellets out of the fire pot with my 2.5 gallon shop vac as it filled up. Hope this helps.

If you go into diagnostics you can run the auger w/o a fire and then vac out the pellets. With it sitting over winter probably not a good idea to leave ashes in the pot anyway.
This...it seems few people know about the diagnostic modes. I run the fan oftentimes without a fire for air circulation when I cold smoke cheese.

I just did this for my RT700. One thing I found was that the Auger does not run continuously. It shuts off after 10-15 seconds. I had to cycle back out of it and re-enter test mode multiple times to finally clear the auger.

I just did this for my RT700. One thing I found was that the Auger does not run continuously. It shuts off after 10-15 seconds. I had to cycle back out of it and re-enter test mode multiple times to finally clear the auger.
Thankd for the heads up, That is very good information to know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back