Ticking Noise

DesertRat

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
It seems like today’s my day for posts. I’ve started up my stampede a few minutes ago and immediately got a ticking noise. I’m attaching a video so you get the audio. I hope it comes through. What Mike have caused this? I would add that I have done to grillings, no smoking since the last time I cleaned it.

The video apparently did not attach to the first post. I’m trying it again. I believe I did not give it enough time to load.

Not the smartest guy here, but maybe call support Duh? Sorry to be insensitive, just tired of stupid posts where you should handle things on your own, not whine here in the forum. Maybe call support first then post if you dont get an answer. geezzz
Well, I’m no doubt not nearly as smart as you. I have not figured out how to get through to a support line that closed 45 minutes ago. Perhaps you can enlighten me.
What is this, Twitter?

Unlike the previous response, my first thought is something rubbing against the fan. My Bulls-Eye did that once. Since you did say that you had not run it, since it was last cleaned. Maybe the corner of the cover, that is folded underneath ? Since you spent the time to record the issue, when all else fails, call support in the morning, and forward the file to the CSR. Good Luck ! I know it is annoying...Rip

The ticking noise could be pellets getting jammed up, something rubbing on a fan or a vibration from the auger. Is it constant?
I just saw the video on my phone, It is for sure a wire rubbing on the fan.

Last edited:
Yes, it’s constant but now the volume has gone down substantially. That seems odd. It’s the same ticking but barely audible. I’m sure Support will have an answer. And I’ve got a boatload of pellets in the hopper. I’d like to blow it out but that would be difficult. I’ll just wait until morning In the meantime I will finish the cook.

I, too, think it is the fan blades hitting something. The diminishing sound is likely the result of the fan blades wearing down whatever they are hitting…or, the blades themselves wearing down. The fan blades may have moved in or out on the shaft; maybe not properly tightened during manufacture.

1651797629380.png

While I like @Homer 's answer very much, I too believe @Jim6820 's assessment is more plausible. I remember a vehicle I took camping many years ago had a field mouse that elected to crawl up into the cabin air vent and met it's demise in the blades of the cabin air intake fan. In my case, it was a dead mouse's foot dragging in the fan like a playing card in bicycle spokes. I hope your situation is a little simpler and a little less gross.

I suspect a rogue pellet or other debris found it's way into the fan.

While I like @Homer 's answer very much, I too believe @Jim6820 's assessment is more plausible. I remember a vehicle I took camping many years ago had a field mouse that elected to crawl up into the cabin air vent and met it's demise in the blades of the cabin air intake fan. In my case, it was a dead mouse's foot dragging in the fan like a playing card in bicycle spokes. I hope your situation is a little simpler and a little less gross.

I suspect a rogue pellet or other debris found it's way into the fan.
When a pellet goes rogue, it ain’t good; anything can happen! :ROFLMAO:

Look up underneath below the controller where the auger motor/fan and blower are, something on the blower fan is rubbing or loose it perhaps? The auger runs in cycles, that is a constant noise which leads me to believe its the blower fan/motor.

Not the smartest guy here, but maybe call support Duh? Sorry to be insensitive, just tired of stupid posts where you should handle things on your own, not whine here in the forum. Maybe call support first then post if you dont get an answer. geezzz
@Pops , this is what happens when the auger speed isn't adjusted properly.

I emailed the video to Bobby this morning and I’m waiting for his reply. In our phone conversation before hand he remarked that the fan is the only moving part that is constant. So it sounds like it is connected with the fan. I’ll post his response after he has had a chance to listen to the audio on the video and get back to me. Thanks for all of the replies and I’m pretty sure I am going to be tearing into something I’d rather not tear into.

I emailed the video to Bobby this morning and I’m waiting for his reply. In our phone conversation before hand he remarked that the fan is the only moving part that is constant. So it sounds like it is connected with the fan. I’ll post his response after he has had a chance to listen to the audio on the video and get back to me. Thanks for all of the replies and I’m pretty sure I am going to be tearing into something I’d rather not tear into.

That's why I said what I did, it is constant and only the blower fan is constant. I had a slight squeaking noise when my auger cycled, it was the fan shaft on the motor that needed a bit of PTFE dry lube......quiet as a church fart now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back