Thoughts on getting a vertical smoker but I already have an rt700...?

ShawnKevin

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I have an rt700 and love it but... My brother in law just got a Cuisinart pellet grill with smoker chamber. I'm well aware my Bull is significantly better as a grill but I got a bit jealous with his area for smoking. I don't necessarily want the smoke chamber for the rt700, I was thinking about getting a vertical pellet smoker to use when I want to do low and slow for a long time.

I bought the pit boss platinum brunswick on clearance for $200 but wasn't sure on whether I should keep it or not. I've had good luck with the rt700 with low and slow cooks and have had no issues yet. I don't mind spending the $200 if I'll get a better result with the pit boss vertical also. It's appealing over other verticals because It has a PID controller and a 98lb hopper.

Thoughts on this? Will a vertical produce a better low and slow cook than the rt700?

Last edited:
If you have the room and don't mind spending the $$ I would keep it.. sounds like a nice unit. Add to the arsenal of tools. Each one has its advantages to give you options. I'd bet the low and slow cooks that unit will do better.

If you have the room and don't mind spending the $$ I would keep it.. sounds like a nice unit. Add to the arsenal of tools. Each one has its advantages to give you options. I'd bet the low and slow cooks that unit will do better.
Definitely, adding to the arsenal was my intention. My worry was just that the rt700 is so good at what it does, I was buying another unit that doesn't perform as well at low and slow.

I wanted to keep it all along, just wanted reassurance from others that I want wasting my money.

I just added a vertical smoker to my line up as well. I decided to go with the smoke daddy pellet pro 2300! You were lucky to find that model and even to find it on clearance!!!
95FE62A5-C17D-4906-B96E-D3BDA89DD21B.jpeg

So any thoughts on why a vertical pellet smoker is better thatn horizontal?

i have a vertical propane smoker i have used for years. vertical is nice because they have so many racks for making summer sausage and they take up less room in the garage. but if i had to pick only one vertical vs horizontal, i would pick horizontal. you can fit much larger cuts/whole animals in a horizontal.

Not sure if your question was in regard to the original post but; what I was asking was if it was worth it to add a vertical in addition to a vertical. I have an rt700 and bought a vertical and wanted thoughts on having both.

To summarize what I'm hearing, the vertical is better for low and slow cooks. The sq inches is more which would give more capacity for items. The temperature should be more uniform throughout the vertical as well.

But...
You can do a good job with most of these things on the bull as well. You do not get any of the benefits of the vertical which includes grilling, searing, using grill grates, or high-heat cooking with a vertical only.

What I have gathered is that they are both great at what they do but each have some unique features. The horizontal has more unique features as well as many in common with the vertical and would be the better choice if you want to do everything but only want one smoker.

Not sure if your question was in regard to the original post but; what I was asking was if it was worth it to add a vertical in addition to a vertical. I have an rt700 and bought a vertical and wanted thoughts on having both.

To summarize what I'm hearing, the vertical is better for low and slow cooks. The sq inches is more which would give more capacity for items. The temperature should be more uniform throughout the vertical as well.

But...
You can do a good job with most of these things on the bull as well. You do not get any of the benefits of the vertical which includes grilling, searing, using grill grates, or high-heat cooking with a vertical only.

What I have gathered is that they are both great at what they do but each have some unique features. The horizontal has more unique features as well as many in common with the vertical and would be the better choice if you want to do everything but only want one smoker.
Thanks for the explanations. I was looking at the side by side pic of vertical and horizontal in a secondary post, and also did not realize RT make a vertical. As an aside, Fwiw in my early days now as a smoker, I am getting better smoking/slow cook results with my bullseye, than I am with an electric vertical one, but that may just be user learning curve. ( I have the vertical electric at a cabin tin the National Forest, and bought the bullseye for ther too, but have been enjoying it at our house in town so much that I haven’t moved it) thanks

I have an rt700 and love it but... My brother in law just got a Cuisinart pellet grill with smoker chamber. I'm well aware my Bull is significantly better as a grill but I got a bit jealous with his area for smoking. I don't necessarily want the smoke chamber for the rt700, I was thinking about getting a vertical pellet smoker to use when I want to do low and slow for a long time.

I bought the pit boss platinum brunswick on clearance for $200 but wasn't sure on whether I should keep it or not. I've had good luck with the rt700 with low and slow cooks and have had no issues yet. I don't mind spending the $200 if I'll get a better result with the pit boss vertical also. It's appealing over other verticals because It has a PID controller and a 98lb hopper.

Thoughts on this? Will a vertical produce a better low and slow cook than the rt700?
It's your money, your grill. Do whatever you want.
My RT-700 doean't give me the smoke I want compared to my barrel wood smoker & kinda displeased with he hype of pellet grills. Treager provides better smoke flavor so if money isn't a big deal, get treager.

It's your money, your grill. Do whatever you want.
My RT-700 doean't give me the smoke I want compared to my barrel wood smoker & kinda displeased with he hype of pellet grills. Treager provides better smoke flavor so if money isn't a big deal, get treager.
I appreciate the input although traeger wasn't a part of the discussion. I have an rt700 and love it. To get, or not to get, a verticle was the issue at hand.

if you want to cure sausages and such a vertical pellet smoker is NOT the way to go as you need to start at about 100 to 120 degrees and ramp up 10 degrees or so an hour and Finish at no more than 180 smoker temp MAX

I have a RT 590 and I love it as well. but sometimes if I am in a hurry and want a lot of smoke I use my Orin cooker. It is messy to clean up but does great smoky quick cooks

if you want to cure sausages and such a vertical pellet smoker is NOT the way to go as you need to start at about 100 to 120 degrees and ramp up 10 degrees or so an hour and Finish at no more than 180 smoker temp MAX
For clarification, did you mean a horizontal smoker would not work? My RT-700 won't go down to 100° but the vertical should work for that

Well this doesn't have much to do with the conversation but the best ribs and baked beans combo I ever made was on a electric vertical smoker. Ribs above the beans and let the drippings down on the beans. Yum Yum.
I say experiment every day!

I have a drum smoker that I will never get rid of. I love the bull for the convenience but I prefer the drum smoker for anything under 10 hours of cook time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back