Bull Thoroughly impressed with rt700 quality.

Gypsyplumber

I received my rt700 last week. I had time to assemble it on Friday. First impression was wow this quality is amazing. The stainless steel makes a huge difference and everything is just thick! I’ve been using wood pellet smokers for close to 10 years starting with the original mini traeger. I’ve also had a green mountain. This thing is a tank compared to both. Not sure why they claim it gets to 700 degrees though when it only goes up to 500. That being said I’ve done a ribeye for practice reverse seared and it came out amazing. Then yesterday I made a 4 bone prime rib with compound butter. I reverse seared this as well, smoked it at 275 for 2.5 hours and cranked it all the way up to 500 for 30 min or so and it came out so freaking good!

I’m looking forward to many more smokes my only complaint is that it doesn’t seem to get as hot as my green mountain did (550) even though it advertises it gets up to 700° but my green mountain got so hot that it would melt the coating off the inside of the barbecue and I’d have paint peeling and flaking onto my food this doesn’t seem like it will be an issue with this barbecue. Also my drip pan warped on my GM…Likely I’m gonna order the sear kit I do a lot of steaks. I normally get a cast-iron pan and put it inside my barbecue to sear but I like the idea of the searing grates.

902EFC06-61B2-47DA-B749-B36AD7A530A2.jpeg

B4803155-43B6-46D9-AE3C-8A1E25A72812.jpeg

I received my rt700 last week. I had time to assemble it on Friday. First impression was wow this quality is amazing. The stainless steel makes a huge difference and everything is just thick! I’ve been using wood pellet smokers for close to 10 years starting with the original mini traeger. I’ve also had a green mountain. This thing is a tank compared to both. Not sure why they claim it gets to 700 degrees though when it only goes up to 500. That being said I’ve done a ribeye for practice reverse seared and it came out amazing. Then yesterday I made a 4 bone prime rib with compound butter. I reverse seared this as well, smoked it at 275 for 2.5 hours and cranked it all the way up to 500 for 30 min or so and it came out so freaking good!

I’m looking forward to many more smokes my only complaint is that it doesn’t seem to get as hot as my green mountain did (550) even though it advertises it gets up to 700° but my green mountain got so hot that it would melt the coating off the inside of the barbecue and I’d have paint peeling and flaking onto my food this doesn’t seem like it will be an issue with this barbecue. Also my drip pan warped on my GM…Likely I’m gonna order the sear kit I do a lot of steaks. I normally get a cast-iron pan and put it inside my barbecue to sear but I like the idea of the searing grates.

View attachment 18281

View attachment 18282
Nice! Welcome and based on my experience you will really enjoy your 700. I don’t sear in mine but many do. Enjoy!

Is there a “super smoke” mode?
Yes turn grill all the way down to 180 lo...they call it extreme smoke I believe. In Ohio being cold I haven't seen much extra smoke in my BFG on that setting as it has to burn pellets constant to stay there at temp. It works by cycling fan on and off.

If searing is what you’re after with your RT-700, buy a set of grill grates for it. While my 700 doesn’t get searing hot, the surface of the GrillGrates does get roughly a 100 degrees hotter than the 700 does. My reverse sear will have the steaks on one half of the 700 while the other half of the 700 surface has the GrillGrates on it.

I cook the steaks at 250 on the regular surface till about 110 degrees, then crank the 700 up to 400 degrees and move the steaks to the Grill Grates to sear once the grill achieves 400 degrees. I sear cross-hatched marks on them 2-4 minutes a side being careful to pull the steaks at 140-145 degrees. There have been a couple of times I only got the sear marks only on one side when I hit my temp. I was fine with just a nice Looking presentation side. Rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.

Adjust cooking time and temps to your personal preference.

As an alternative, I do have a Grilla Grills Primate gas grill (With the grates in place) to sear at a high heat if I’m doing lots of meat or big hunks of meat. More often, I’ll do that with picanha and tri-tips.

If searing is what you’re after with your RT-700, buy a set of grill grates for it. While my 700 doesn’t get searing hot, the surface of the GrillGrates does get roughly a 100 degrees hotter than the 700 does. My reverse sear will have the steaks on one half of the 700 while the other half of the 700 surface has the GrillGrates on it.

I cook the steaks at 250 on the regular surface till about 110 degrees, then crank the 700 up to 400 degrees and move the steaks to the Grill Grates to sear once the grill achieves 400 degrees. I sear cross-hatched marks on them 2-4 minutes a side being careful to pull the steaks at 140-145 degrees. There have been a couple of times I only got the sear marks only on one side when I hit my temp. I was fine with just a nice Looking presentation side. Rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.

Adjust cooking time and temps to your personal preference.

As an alternative, I do have a Grilla Grills Primate gas grill (With the grates in place) to sear at a high heat if I’m doing lots of meat or big hunks of meat. More often, I’ll do that with picanha and tri-tips.
I’m likely going to buy them. I used to put my cast iron pan in the bbq with beef tallow and crank it all the way up to sear. Personally I like to pull my steaks at 100 deg and sear until 115 then let rest. I’m a rare steak guy. I think anything above 140 is for the wife 😂

@Gypsyplumber keep an eye on the GriilGrate website. They have scratch and dent sales every now and then where you can get a good deal. Some folks on this forum have done it and they say there is really no difference in quality.

Looks great Gypsyplumber
I'll be picking up a 16 - 20 lb Prime Rib Roast tomorrow for Momma's Birthday on the 31st
I do it up a lot like what you've done
Here's the 16 pounder from last year:
cats-2021-birthday-prime-rib-jpeg.14086

View attachment 18281

View attachment 18282

View attachment 18281

View attachment 18282
For me, the RT-700 is to be used and enjoyed as a "smoker". I have a propane powered Weber Genesis and that is a wonderful "grill" and a 36" Blackstone that is a great "griddle". I never use a foil container with oil in it as a deep fryer on a grill or griddle. I have a 5 gallon 2 basket Cajun fryer for that and a Big Easy "SRG" Turkey fryer for that meat air fry. There are other implements as well that are there for a purpose... now there is a big suggestion. Buy the toys and then tell yourself and your dear spouse that with literally thousands of dollars invested, surely a few more dollars spent on an outdoor kitchen and dining area would be appropriate.
The point here is I always use an appliance for what it it was designed for... if the RT-700 was intended to be used as a grill or a griddle, it would not be called the best "smoker" in the world.
I am retired and when Queenie and I want to prepare a certain dish, how to prepare it leads to lively discussion and excitement. For example, I can cook a chicken on the SRG or on the Webber Grill or on the Blackstone or I can use the Rotisserie. Each method of preparation gives us a different taste but stretching it too far (like flimsy foil full of frying oil) will surely cause accidents.
Just my thoughts. :)
Happy New Year to you GypsyPlumber and all the other great ones on this Bulletin Board.

Last edited:
For me, the RT-700 is to be used and enjoyed as a "smoker". I have a propane powered Weber Genesis and that is a wonderful "grill" and a 36" Blackstone that is a great "griddle". I never use a foil container with oil in it as a deep fryer on a grill or griddle. I have a 5 gallon 2 basket Cajun fryer for that and a Big Easy "SRG" Turkey fryer for that meat air fry. There are other implements as well that are there for a purpose... now there is a big suggestion. Buy the toys and then tell yourself and your dear spouse that with literally thousands of dollars invested, surely a few more dollars spent on an outdoor kitchen and dining area would be appropriate.
The point here is I always use an appliance for what it it was designed for... if the RT-700 was intended to be used as a grill or a griddle, it would not be called the best "smoker" in the world.
I am retired and when Queenie and I want to prepare a certain dish, how to prepare it leads to lively discussion and excitement. For example, I can cook a chicken on the SRG or on the Webber Grill or on the Blackstone or I can use the Rotisserie. Each method of preparation gives us a different taste but stretching it too far (like flimsy foil full of frying oil) will surely cause accidents.
Just my thoughts. :)
Happy New Year to you GypsyPlumber and all the other great ones on this Bulletin Board.
Elias,

Your response is spot on if you want to make sure you “stay in your lane“ with your various cookers and remain cautious. However, I take the path less traveled because variety is the spice of life. I use my RT700 for a lot of different cooking and food profiles that are not traditional but I also have a Lynx Pro 36” with trident and cast iron burners that can be configured on the fly and hit 1100F in 8 minutes, and a separate Lynx Pro side burner just in case I have to do more than a dozen steaks in 20 minutes. The Lynx also puts out a rotisserie chicken that will make you cancel your Costco membership when using the included smoker box and low temps. My old school New Braunsfel Model 1400 cast iron, circa 1987, 5 foot vertical stick burner goes from 0-300F in 3 hours but can put out the most tender proteins in the world if you hire the right babysitter. I also have several Blackstones, a pizza oven, and other assorted devices but they are always ready for any number of challenges. In summary, don’t limit your experiences to the hype/advertisers claims, stretch your imagination and you will have limitless experiences for enhancing your fun.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back