Thinking About Making A Change…

So, I’m behind on my cooking and my posting, so I’ll combine a Yoder and a Combustion, Inc. feedback post into one. My first results with the Combustion unit was not good. Tried it again today and could not be happier with how it worked. I was trying to replicate this cook that Chris from Co bust ion did in this YouTube video from
about a year ago. I was using a 3.7# beef flat from Wild Fork, Hard Carnivore Black rub, served with Broccolini topped with Chardonnay Bellvotano cheese, and guacamole. The initial temp on the Yoder was set to 400°F, lowered to 125°F as it approached 115°F. Still some tweaking needed for the process, but thus far I’m really impressed with the performance of the Combustion, Inc. probes.
50238F12-672D-4715-91AC-7AE03511468F.jpeg
3A39D1AE-09E0-4DCB-850F-C4ED493B7C20.jpeg

As a bit of background info, I now have WAY too many outdoor grills/cookers at a point where I want to downside stuff, while upgrading my game at the same time. My relevant inventory includes a Wyldside, a Matador, a Bullseye, a RT-340, a RT-700 w/smoke box, and two propane griddles. I also have a Camp Chef outdoor stove w//pizza oven, a PK grill, blah, blah…

Thinking about putting up for sale my most used grills (Bullseye, RT-340, RT-700), and Camp Chef pizza oven) for a Yoder YS640S with the wood fired (pizza, etc.) attachment. Less grills for me, me more versatile, or not? Thoughts on why this may/may not be the thing to do?
The pictures and photographs I’ve seen with the Yoder YS640 is Rust. I’ve seen a few of them with only a couple years of use on them with a lot of rust. I don’t own one, but I’m just saying that’s what I’ve seen.

So, I’m behind on my cooking and my posting, so I’ll combine a Yoder and a Combustion, Inc. feedback post into one. My first results with the Combustion unit was not good. Tried it again today and could not be happier with how it worked. I was trying to replicate this cook that Chris from Co bust ion did in this YouTube video from
about a year ago. I was using a 3.7# beef flat from Wild Fork, Hard Carnivore Black rub, served with Broccolini topped with Chardonnay Bellvotano cheese, and guacamole. The initial temp on the Yoder was set to 400°F, lowered to 125°F as it approached 115°F. Still some tweaking needed for the process, but thus far I’m really impressed with the performance of the Combustion, Inc. probes.
View attachment 18531View attachment 18532
Greg, how you you compare the ”smoke” flavor between your RTs and the YS? I have a YS dealer nearby, and have been seriously considering. But it’s an investment. I ended up grabbing a Masterbuilt in my search for more smoke as I decide my next “major” cooker investment.

Has anyone had experience with the Kandogear Pellet cooker? Seems like a comparable cooker to the YS
https://www.kandogear.com/products/k670-pellet-grill

Greg, how you you compare the ”smoke” flavor between your RTs and the YS? I have a YS dealer nearby, and have been seriously considering. But it’s an investment. I ended up grabbing a Masterbuilt in my search for more smoke as I decide my next “major” cooker investment.
Frankly, I haven’t thought about it so I guess that means no more or less smoke flavor than the RTs. The Yoder will cook at a lower temp without flame-outs (150°) so that should give a ‘super-smoke’ like mode. I’ve never tried cooking anything lower than 225°, so I can’t say how well/if that works.

There is absolutely nothing about this grill that I do not love, other than the mild steel trap door in the drip pan, over the fire box. It really needs to be made of stainless, as it is going to burn out just like the mild steel deflector in the Bullseye burns out. The Yoder has some unique design features, like the offset fire box, that make you shake your head at first. But after using it, these features are really brilliant. I’ve used the RT-700 once since I’ve owned the Yoder. I really need to find the time to get some of these grills cleaned and ready for someone who will put them to good use.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back