Thermopen MK4 $69

Has anyone ever compared to something like this for $16.99 on Amazon? I have no doubt the Thermopen is better in some way but I see no mention of a warranty on the Termopen website to say "well, this one is covered for life so it will be the last one I ever buy" or some strong reason to pay 5x more. That's 5x more on this rare sale price on a specific color too. Normal price would be nearly 6x more. Is it really 5-6x better? Someone who has compared these two specifically please quantify why or why not. Thanks!

Has anyone ever compared to something like this for $16.99 on Amazon? I have no doubt the Thermopen is better in some way but I see no mention of a warranty on the Termopen website to say "well, this one is covered for life so it will be the last one I ever buy" or some strong reason to pay 5x more. That's 5x more on this rare sale price on a specific color too. Normal price would be nearly 6x more. Is it really 5-6x better? Someone who has compared these two specifically please quantify why or why not. Thanks!
There is a 2 year warranty if purchased direct. It is more accurate, faster and
  • Includes Biomaster silver ion technology to reduce microbial growth

There is a 2 year warranty if purchased direct. It is more accurate, faster and
  • Includes Biomaster silver ion technology to reduce microbial growth
You've used them side by side to say definitively that it's faster and more accurate? That's what I'm soliciting. I can compare marketing jargon but I'm more looking for real world first-hand accounts of the pros and cons between these two similar items with a significantly different price tag.

I have a cheap amazon one and it's been fantastic https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GTXLS5N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It reads in 3 seconds and reads out the same temp as my buddy's Thermopen. Only negative is the magnet on isn't very strong for holding to a magnetic surface.

I have a cheap amazon one and it's been fantastic https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GTXLS5N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It reads in 3 seconds and reads out the same temp as my buddy's Thermopen. Only negative is the magnet on isn't very strong for holding to a magnetic surface.
That's good to know. I've had good luck with the cheaper thermometers of other specialties so I'm curious if that same luck would apply here. The one I linked to has nearly 7x the number of reviews (not the only metric to go off of these days as we all know) and for a couple bucks more seems to include similar features that the thermopen has. This is why I included it specifically but your first-hand experience on the subject matter is greatly appreciated. Maybe we need to start another thread to discuss these less expensive alternatives where we may be able to solicit more input as I doubt too many members who have found success with sub-$20 pens are going to even click this thread given the title.

I went ahead and started a new thread (found here) for anyone interested in alternatives to this Thermopen or simply having a conversation about the merits of this device versus it's competitors. We can take that slightly off-topic conversation that is worthy of it's own thread to avoid derailing this thread.

Well looks like the White MK4 is now sold out!

1614261689660.png

The good news is they are offering the same $69 deal on the Gray model - again until they are sold out...
https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4?quantity=1&color=1

MI4 sale ends today.
Today the first day I’m using mine and I love it

Attachments

• 75ACF5AF-664C-45C7-8975-6A4B579A240B.png
    75ACF5AF-664C-45C7-8975-6A4B579A240B.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 60
i have the same one listed in the amazon link and really like it. i like the magnet because it will stick to fridge next to stove or grill. and its fast and water proof. but i would like a mk4 because im sure its faster

Attachments

• 9BBA490B-113C-428D-BDBF-B5F861992599.jpeg
    9BBA490B-113C-428D-BDBF-B5F861992599.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 59
i have the same one listed in the amazon link and really like it. i like the magnet because it will stick to fridge next to stove or grill. and its fast and water proof. but i would like a mk4 because im sure its faster
ThermoWorks offers a cover for the MK4 that has a magnet in it-works great.

I received an email today from Thermoworks saying they are closing out the MK4 for $69 and some big news is coming. Sounds like it may be replaced with a new model?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back