Thermometers

NCF

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
What does everyone use for a probe thermometer? The ThermoPen sounds awesome, but $100? Are the knockoffs just as good? Curious what everyone uses and which ones to definitely avoid.

If you sign up for the Thermoworks deals you will get private or open box deals along with any specials. If I had known I would have waited for a better deal than 15% off on the MK4. Not a big deal but if you are patient you should be able to get it for less than the listed full price.

Buy once, cry once. Thermoworks products are SOLID. I have a couple DOTS and an MK4. Love them all and highly recommend.

I've had a Thermopen for brewing for 6 years and other than change the battery and keep it clean, it's still as accurate as ever. They do have a line of less expensive thermos that are supposedly good but they seem to put these on sale often. If you can wait, just keep checking and you'll probably save 20% or so.

EDIT: I just saw this as a less expensive option though I think the Thermopen is worth it.
https://www.homebrewfinds.com/2021/02/private-open-box-sale-thermoworks-dash-thermometer.html

Last edited:
IMHO the MK4 is the gold standard for quick read thermometers. You cannot go wrong with the classic either. However, you said probes rather than quick read...

I used the original 2 probe iDevice's iGrill before it was acquired by Weber. I also have the 4 probe iGrill 2, but have found the bluetooth connectivity to be less than reliable. I've been using both the built in probes of my Stampede as well as the iGrill and both seem to be in agreement on what the temp actually is, so that's a good sign.

I would love to try the Thermoworks smoker system. I suspect that would be just as good as the quick read products.

Not being an ass, but if you search this topic you'll find lots of threads on this topic that also my help with your question. Cheers

I signed up at Thermoworks to get notices. Within about a week I received an offer for open box at about 27% off so I ordered an MK4...it came and was like new. It might have been slightly damaged packaging that caused it to be an open box item. I like it and someday I may test it against my cheaper thermometer. My initial impression is that it reads much quicker.

What does everyone use for a probe thermometer? The ThermoPen sounds awesome, but $100? Are the knockoffs just as good? Curious what everyone uses and which ones to definitely avoid.
I cheaper alternative is the Lavatools Javelin which I currently use. But I am about to replace it myself with a Thermapen MK4 very soon.

Keep an eye on the, Hot Pellet Grill Deals, thread here on Recteqforum as Thermoworks sales all the time.

I have a cheap Acurite and have put it alongside the grill probes and they both read the same. Whether they're both right or wrong I don't know.

Yes the thermapen is worth every penny. It is an absolute must. Its the 2nd thing you should buy after your smoker.

I bought a couple Thermoworks instant read pens nearly 10 years ago. Back then they didn’t have the catchy names. Just model numbers. They were the very basic ones. About $30 each back then I think. Maybe even less. Still work like new which is terrifically. Just change batteries as needed. The point is in my experience their products are top notch. If these ever die, which will probably happen tomorrow now that I’ve mentioned it, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from them again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back