Thermometer vs Actual Grate Temp

BassCrash

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
How much does your smoker temp vary based on the readout and what it is nearer the cooking grate? Currently my RT680 is showing 265, but my temp probe is reading 225 about one inch above the grates in the center of smoker.

Last edited:
So, knowing all this, what's the best way to place a single brisket on the RT-700, for best results on a low-&-slow smoke?

So, knowing all this, what's the best way to place a single brisket on the RT-700, for best results on a low-&-slow smoke?
I think Chris G has said left of center with point facing toward right? Maybe he’ll jump in and comment on rationale, I may have that wrong…

I think Chris G has said left of center with point facing toward right? Maybe he’ll jump in and comment on rationale, I may have that wrong…
@Plumberguy I found the thinnest part (flat) on the left and the thickest part (point) on the right. The right side close to the stack appears to be hotter.

I just did a Biscuit Test on my new RT-700. The far left side was by far the darkest, with mid left to far right being fairly even. That being said, the bottoms of the Top Right ones were a bit darker than the far left ones, with the back edges of the bottoms approaching black.

*Note, I have the Cold Smoker attached on the right hand side, so perhaps that is why my left side is darker than the right side (on the tops)... just a wild guess. I might put in some fire bricks and do the test again and see if I can get it more even across the entire grate. I don't really like that the warmest part appears to be where the RT-700's temp probe is.

BiscuitTest.jpg

I just did a Biscuit Test on my new RT-700. The far left side was by far the darkest, with mid left to far right being fairly even. That being said, the bottoms of the Top Right ones were a bit darker than the far left ones, with the back edges of the bottoms approaching black.

*Note, I have the Cold Smoker attached on the right hand side, so perhaps that is why my left side is darker than the right side (on the tops)... just a wild guess. I might put in some fire bricks and do the test again and see if I can get it more even across the entire grate. I don't really like that the warmest part appears to be where the RT-700's temp probe is.

View attachment 10240
Interesting, did you seal the lid?

Interesting, did you seal the lid?

Yes I put gasket around the top/bottom/sides of the actual smoker. In hindsight, perhaps it would have been smarter to put the gasket on the under-lid, as there is some smoke that escapes at the 2 lid hinges since I don't have gasket under them. Probably doesn't matter too much I figure.

Yes I put gasket around the top/bottom/sides of the actual smoker. In hindsight, perhaps it would have been smarter to put the gasket on the under-lid, as there is some smoke that escapes at the 2 lid hinges since I don't have gasket under them. Probably doesn't matter too much I figure.
Thanks for the response.
I was surprised to see the hot side on the left.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back