Thermometer vs Actual Grate Temp

BassCrash

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
How much does your smoker temp vary based on the readout and what it is nearer the cooking grate? Currently my RT680 is showing 265, but my temp probe is reading 225 about one inch above the grates in the center of smoker.

Last edited:
How much does your smoker temp vary based on the readout and what it is nearer the cooking grate? Currently my RT680 is showing 265, but my temp probe is reading 225 about one inch above the grates in the center of smoker.
And what is the location on the grate? Center, left, right, front , back? I know for a fact the temp varies a lot between the left and right side from my experience cooking bacon.

For whatever it's worth, a buddy of mine has MAK 2 pellet grill/smoker (made in Oregon) that comes with a temp probe that can be moved closer to the item being cooked and a meat probe. It's dead on accurate when placed in the center & the entire MAK is 304 grade stainless .... very nice unit but very expensive too. I thought about moving the temp probe on my Bull to see if it improved it.

For whatever it's worth, a buddy of mine has MAK 2 pellet grill/smoker (made in Oregon) that comes with a temp probe that can be moved closer to the item being cooked and a meat probe. It's dead on accurate when placed in the center & the entire MAK is 304 grade stainless .... very nice unit but very expensive too. I thought about moving the temp probe on my Bull to see if it improved it.
It’s not a huge issue, as will probably just use the temp probe that connects to the same unit as my meat probe. Plus after a few cooks I think I’ll learn the variance and account for it when setting the temp. I was curious if anyone else has noticed the difference and if it’s more or less standard.

Try moving your probe to different spots to see what the variance is around the cooking area. If the temps are somewhat consistent ( they will vary but mine is within 15 degrees across the grate) then you can adjust the offset to be closer.

.................. I was curious if anyone else has noticed the difference and if it’s more or less standard.
To answer that last question, yes, many people have and many have had the same reaction you did. And I'll add, on a variety of different cookers. It's a knowledge thing that frequently results from people having new equipment (say, multi probe thermometers, some with a high degree of accuracy) and discovering that temperatures will vary within a contained space. The comparison is often made or offered that if they were to do the same scrutiny of their inside the kitchen oven they'd get a real shock as those can be even worse for variance. Most people though, have never checked that oven, they just set the temp and go merrily along in their belief it's steady. If you want to have some educational fun, buy a loaf of cheap white bread, spread the slices across the entire grate surface and then run a cycle at temp and see the difference in heat distribution across the grate. Try not to be shocked by the results.

@Uncle Bob - You hit the nail on the head. I just bought a new range this past Fall and while it's pretty accurate and holds temps good, there is still variation inside the oven. However, when it's on convection, which I typically cook with on, the numbers flatten out better with each other. The bread test is the best way to determine hot spots and if done correctly, the toast can then be used for stuffing ;)

Temps.jpg

I set two probes up in my pit with the temp set at 275. While the stock probe read 275 the majority of the time, there was variation in the two probes that were to the left/right of center. For me, this is something good to know, for how to place meat in the pit (thin piece vs thicker cuts). Otherwise, it's nothing serious to get caught up on.

My Bull fluctuates between 20-25º at the grill surface end to end

I going to run the bread 🍞 test this weekend. Right after my deep clean 🧼
First one after 5 weeks. Going to be fun 🤥

While making toast will graphically indicate where the hotter and cooler areas are, the information I find useful is knowing how much those areas vary from the OEM sensor.

If you haven't done so, there are instructional videos here and on youtube, on how to sync your meat probes and then also sync your PID controller as well. Just remember the meat probes adjust in degrees° and the Pid is in percent%.
Some people never worry about it.... I found mine was reading to high also and adjusted it so I was cooking at a more accurate temp.
Goodluck !

I just got the 590 and after seasoning the grill I put aluminum foil across the heat deflector like I seen on a few YouTube videos. Then I put a temperature probe out in the middle of the grill and it was 30 to 40° cooler than what the 590 probe read. Does the aluminum foil make that much difference?

Ok I ran the biscuit test.
The right edges got the hottest. The Metal seem to be the coolest.

Attachments

• 59E138DB-163D-4B67-AD99-CE61D1A2AA91.jpeg
    59E138DB-163D-4B67-AD99-CE61D1A2AA91.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 93
  • B81E1128-2FD2-423E-8F8F-87E861C724AF.jpeg
    B81E1128-2FD2-423E-8F8F-87E861C724AF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 115
  • 93BCACC7-63BD-4B59-80E9-5693EFF40865.jpeg
    93BCACC7-63BD-4B59-80E9-5693EFF40865.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 90
How do I adjust the hot spots??
From a practical standpoint, you don’t. Just be aware of where you are, be willing to rotate your food 180* during a cook, and/or put the fattest/largest cuts of meat to the hot spot to begin with and it will all be fine.

How do I adjust the hot spots??
Greg gave you the accurate solution answer which is the best way to cope. I'll just add on observations that are consistent with the design of the cooker. If you look at your pictures the hottest zones, generally, are around the outside which is consistent with the heat coming up around the drip pan. Next, notice that the ends are done more than the center (even on the edges) as you partly noted. This is because of the orientation of the deflector over the burn pot, under the drip tray. That coupled with the direction of the air coming off the combustion air fan gives you higher temps at both ends , and especially on the right because that's the direction the fan blows and where the exhaust stack it (primary airflow direction both forced and convection). For those who choose to be more analytical these are mostly predictable outcomes, but most people don't have that kind of life experience. Which is why this kind of test exercise is helpful.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back