RT-1250 The RT-1250 Newbie Thread - Updated 05/24/2022

Got the 1250, assembled it, and about to finish my first smoke!
Also for some reason, one of my horn handles got messed up. I put them on before I put on the "lid sweep" by mistake, and when I unscrewed it, it bound up and goobered up the threads. Customer service is sending me a new handle. Their explanation was stainless steel sometimes when tightended almost "welds" to itself. Not sure if I understand or believe that, but happy they are sending me a new handle.
Stainless steel threads (male and female) will “gall” if not properly lubricated. It is, indeed, like they are welded together. Using a little of this high-temp anti-seize…

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-771...ds=anti-seize+high+temp&qid=1649910693&sr=8-4

…will prevent the threads from galling.

She's HERE.
20220420_174129.jpg

It has been a long time, but I've updated my original post with my experience so far.

Greetings! I am new to the family and just received and assembled my RT-1250. Super excited about my first smoke. Burn-in is completed and preparing for chicken thighs.

Question: I am having trouble with the recteq app (iPhone). I have been able to pair my grill with my app via my wifi and can control the temperature. However, whenever I try and click the temperature history button, the app crashes. I have installed and reinstalled a couple of times, as well as disconnected the grill and reconnected. I also am not receiving any notifications. Thoughts? I have an email out to recteq but thought I would check here as well.

Thank you in advance.

Greetings! I am new to the family and just received and assembled my RT-1250. Super excited about my first smoke. Burn-in is completed and preparing for chicken thighs.

Question: I am having trouble with the recteq app (iPhone). I have been able to pair my grill with my app via my wifi and can control the temperature. However, whenever I try and click the temperature history button, the app crashes. I have installed and reinstalled a couple of times, as well as disconnected the grill and reconnected. I also am not receiving any notifications. Thoughts? I have an email out to recteq but thought I would check here as well.

Thank you in advance.
Mine is doing the same thing.

So I am a 3 year veteran of a Traeger and my fire pot developed a huge hole so I ordered a Recteq RT-1250. Being in Canada, no free shipping and just paid $680 in duties and taxes but it will arrive tomorrow by noon and will be assembled when it arrives. Even though it cost me over $1k more than my friends in the USA I’m hoping it’s worth it.

So I am a 3 year veteran of a Traeger and my fire pot developed a huge hole so I ordered a Recteq RT-1250. Being in Canada, no free shipping and just paid $680 in duties and taxes but it will arrive tomorrow by noon and will be assembled when it arrives. Even though it cost me over $1k more than my friends in the USA I’m hoping it’s worth it.
Ouch!

So my rt-1250 arrived to me this morning…. My thoughts! Shipping and duties were just very expensive but my choice…. The setup for the smoker via the YouTube video was a 6 out of 10. Better than an ikea pictured manual but perhaps a proper setup manual would be helpful…. It took about 90 mins for a fairly handy guy (myself) to set it all up….
the RT-1250 is as solid a machine as you can imagine…. Very happy with my purchase…. Before using the smoker for food, general impression is 9.5 out of 10.

I also bought the searing kit and the cover…. The searing kit seems rock solid and initial score of 9 out of 10.

The recteq cover for the machine seems beyond flimsy and don’t see it lasting 2 months as it’s a really tight fit and with all the sharp edges on the smoker this cover has no chance at all. For a really high end smoker, should the cover not match?

I would give the cover a very poor 2 of 10 in initial quality…. I know I will be researchIng other options,,,,

looking forward to my first cook Wednesday.

Congrats-glad to hear you have it ready to go! A couple of thoughts on what you mentioned. The recteq grills do have manuals available online (The 1250 Manual is Here ). The plastic bag with the temp probes should have a card with the QR code to take you to the manual.

On the cover, the fit on the 700/1250 is a common complaint. I have the smoke box, so mine is even tricker to take on/off. Mine has lasted 3 years and I’ll be looking for a replacement soon. Some people here have had good success putting in a zipper. Here is one that is popular here, and from what I understand a tailor or seamstress does not charge a lot to install them.

This might be a silly question, but, when cleaning out the fire pot between cooks, am I supposed to clean out everything inside it (pellets and ash) or just try to remove the ash build up and leave what pellets are waiting in there for next time?

This might be a silly question, but, when cleaning out the fire pot between cooks, am I supposed to clean out everything inside it (pellets and ash) or just try to remove the ash build up and leave what pellets are waiting in there for next time?
A clean grill is a happy grill!

I do both. Most of the time I just pull out any klinkers (I rarely have them with Bear Miuntain) and enough ash to make sure the pot can get oxygen through the holes. A few times a year during deeper cleaning I vacuum and drop a few pellets back in. Just try not to vacuum too many pellets out of the auger tube.

I’m following this thread as I just received my new RT-1250 yesterday. Along with the smoker I also purchased a seer kit, (ACSEKI 19.5 in for the RT-700. The same kit fits the RT-1250 $69.00) a grill pad (RT-LGPAD Large Premium $59.98 it’s really well made and looks cool as hell with recteq and Bull logo branded in with red paint. An (RT-FTG19 Flat Top Griddle RT-700&RT-590 $79.98) A (RT-CKNMT Mesh cooking mat$14.98) Also five 40lb bags= (PEULT200 /200# recteq Ultimate Blend Pellet $100.00) It’s a promotional bundle $75.00 dollars off with the purchase of a RT-1250. This Is a blend of all natural White Oak, Red Oak, and Hickory. No fillers or additive. I’m up in the air about a seal kit. One of the upgrades to RT-1250 is the addition of a drip strip on the lid to prevent juice and grease from running down the front of the cooking chamber and staining it. The strip works well. I added an IBBQ-4BW from Ink Bird. With 4 probes and Ink Bird instant read meat probe.(I highly recommend both of these products). I plan to add a recteq cover this week. Other than a good grill brush and maybe a smoke tube in the near future, I’m done unless y’all have some good suggestions.
love my ink bird ibbq-4bw. got it on a lightning deal from amazon over a year ago. reads the exact same temp as my thermopen mk4 so it's good stuff. I did seal my grill with lava lock or whatever it's called( the stuff made for the big green egg) works really well and I love seeing smoke only coming out of the right side and not all over. I also have a 340 and have not sealed it yet. my cousin did seal his but had to use a thinner seal instead of a thick one like lava lock. I have not had issues with heat after sealing it. i have seen 120 with humidity and negative 6 here in missouri. never an issue. of course thats just me.

Mine shows up in a few days, first time with a pellet grill. Do people recommend lavalock on all sides of the door? Also should I go with attaching it to door or to chamber? How well will the wheels work on grass if I need assemble in garage and move to back yard?

I applied the seal to all sides of the door, on both the grill door and the pellet bin. Can’t speak to the wheels as I went with the competitors cart, but I would not pay the extra $$$ for a competition cart just to get it in my back yard.

I applied the seal to all sides of the door, on both the grill door and the pellet bin. Can’t speak to the wheels as I went with the competitors cart, but I would not pay the extra $$$ for a competition cart just to get it in my back yard.
Thanks- question I forgot re: grill grates. Do they sit over the stainless rack? Never used em before and looking forward to them

For pellet bin do you mean the lid on it?

Thanks- question I forgot re: grill grates. Do they sit over the stainless rack? Never used em before and looking forward to them

For pellet bin do you mean the lid on it?
You can use them either way. I use mine sitting L-R on top of the OEM grates, but they are made to replace the OEM grates if desired. The challenge with that is sometimes the grease drains over the drip pan, into the barrel where you can have a grease fire.

Yes, I’ve taped the lid on all my pellet grills. I believe it has as much, or more, value than taping the grill lid. Pellets stay drier and it reduces oxygen to the hopper which can contribute to a hopper fire.

In the first ~3 weeks of owning an RT-1250 I have only one "complaint":

I've managed to briefly sizzle both of my hands (on separate occasions) when opening the cover :LOL:

All of the cooks so far have exceeded my expectations!

Grill is setup and initial burn complete. Hoping to do first cook tonight if weather holds...speaking of weather...

How long will my pellets last in the hopper? I did not fill it all the way, I used one bag of the reqtec mesquite. I live in FL and its about to get wet here. I have sealed the pellet hopper and its under the recreq cover. I imagine I should empty it and store them in an air tight container or bucket - what do you guys use? Finally. Will unopened bags be safe in my garage?

Grill is setup and initial burn complete. Hoping to do first cook tonight if weather holds...speaking of weather...

How long will my pellets last in the hopper? I did not fill it all the way, I used one bag of the reqtec mesquite. I live in FL and its about to get wet here. I have sealed the pellet hopper and its under the recreq cover. I imagine I should empty it and store them in an air tight container or bucket - what do you guys use? Finally. Will unopened bags be safe in my garage?
Keep the grill dry and you will be fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back