RT-1250 The RT-1250 Newbie Thread - Updated 05/24/2022

Texas_TL

LAST UPDATED: 05/24/2022

UPDATE: Now that I've had my grill for over 6 months, I feel I can provide additional info, so some of the items below may have changed. Of course, anything I say is my opinion, so take it for what it is. :)

My new RT-1250 arrived today and I've made it to the point of needing help to move the biggest piece, but while I wait for a buddy to arrive, I'm going to start this thread. Since it doesn't seem that there's a concise "Here are the tips for newbies" thread with all the mods, questions, etc in one place, my hope is to build this out as I go through the process of assembling, burning in, and my initial cooks and pull together what I can from other threads about all topics that I have to learn about. Hopefully, I can help others that come after me so they don't have to spend quite as much time digging into the RT-700 threads, searching other areas of the internet / Facebook, etc.

For now, here are some of the initial topics I know I have questions with already. I'll flesh these out in the next few days...Feel free to jump in with advice / tips below and I'll compile everything in this first post over time.

First, since these are most urgent...it's going to rain tomorrow, so the plan is to do things like assemble in the house today, put on the seal if I decide to go that route, use the high temp sealant around places where there are openings (e.g. at the bottom of the drain spout), and wash all the interior parts.

To Seal or Not to Seal...that is the question?
I've seen both sides of this, seal with LavaLock / do not seal, it was designed to breathe (Recteq's answer).

Pros:
  • Helps keep grill clean by preventing leakage
  • Keeps more smoke in for more flavor
  • Improves heat retention, especially in colder weather
  • Reduces pellet consumption
Cons:
  • Additional expense / work
  • May hold in too much heat in warmer weather / climates and make it difficult to reach ultra low temps
  • Another area of maintenance over time
UPDATE 5/24/2022: I sealed my RT-1250 and didn't seal my RT-340 (I tried, but the seal was too thick and caused issues with the lid closing). After having both, I'd definitely seal my 1250 again, for multiple reasons.
  • Feel - The grill just "feels" better when closing the lid. There's no metal on metal sound and it gives it a cushioned feel. I personally like that since I came from a Kamado with the similar seal tech.
  • Drips - I do feel it makes a difference on the front of the grill to keep drips from running down the front and onto my patio. The grill did change colors in that area anyway, but I think that's more heat, less grease / moisture.
  • Temps - I live in Texas where grilling season is pretty much year round and I've now had the opportunity to grill in "Texas Cold" and some pretty hot days already this summer and have had 0 temperature issues. I've smoked beef jerky at 180º for hours with the temp staying within +/-1º and gone up to 500º without any problems. I've cooked pizzas at 500º and again, the grill holds the temp perfectly. I have done FULL a couple of times, but then decided that I didn't need to go that hot for anything I'm cooking. The 500º + GrillGrates gives me a great sear on anything.
    Of course, if you live someplace where temps are significantly different, YMMV.
Covers

RecTeq
Pros:​
  • Made to fit
  • Seems to last a while
  • 18 Month Warranty (My credit card would extend this by another 2 years)
  • Buckles / made for the grill
Cons:​
  • Expensive ($85)
  • Fits too well...difficult to get on without ripping
  • Some complaints of early deterioration
Unicook (Amazon) - 65" (will this fit the 1250?)
  • Inexpensive ($30) - Could replace 3x for the price of one RecTeq
  • Easier to get on / off
  • Straps
  • Air vents
  • Great Reviews
  • Generic fit
  • May not cover as completely?
  • Possibly lower quality material?
Members Mark 68" (Sam's Club) - UPDATE: THIS MAY NO LONGER FIT. It appears that it's now only 24" deep. I do not have the box from the one I bought to compare advertised dimensions.
I remembered that I had one of these in my garage that I had never used. Since I didn't have a cover ordered and rain was in the forecast, I used it. It fit over the grill nicely and was easy to get on!​
  • Inexpensive ($25)
  • Heavy Duty
  • Has vents at bottom to allow airflow
  • Generic Fit
  • Bungee Cords in Bottom difficult to pull tight. Could be because mine is older though.
UPDATE 5/24/2022: My Sam's Club Members Mark grill cover is still going strong and does a GREAT job of keeping out the rain while at the same time not letting moisture get trapped under it even in the TX humidity. It's extremely easy to get on / off and the bungee straps on each side snug it up tightly enough to lock the bottom. It's also large enough that I can get it on / off with the drip bucket in place and the top grill grate hung on the back which is a plus.

Pellets
UPDATE 5/24/2022: I had nothing to add here, but now, I've tried 3 different types of pellets and can give my opinion on those 3. Of course, this is an area where EVERYONE has an opinion so my advice is try any pellets you're interested in and see what they do...worst case, you're out a few $ and learn what you don't like.

• Recteq Ultimate Blend - The OG pellet...I assume this is the first pellet most people here have tried, at least if a Recteq is their first pellet grill. When ordering with the grill, they're worth the discounted price of $20 per bag. They burn hot, have low ash, decent flavor, and seem to be high quality. For me though, at $30-40 / bag on the reorder, I have moved to pellets I can find locally for cheaper. I'm cheap like that. :)
  • Smokehouse (Sam's Club) Smokehouse Blend - These are available at most Sam's Clubs during the grilling season and in TX, that means they're available year round (so far). They're a blend of Hickory, Oak, Maple, and Cherry wood and are only $15 / 40 lb bag...half the price of Recteq's $30 sale price and available locally when I need them. They also burn well and I've had no issues with high or low temps when using them. The flavor profile is slightly different than Recteq and I honestly can't say which I prefer. They do seem to generate slightly more ash than the Recteq, but aren't bad and I clean my fire pot every couple of cooks anyway.
  • Smokehouse (Sam's Club) Classic Barbecue - These are my favorite so far. They're a blend of 50/50 Oak and Hickory wood and have a more similar flavor profile to what I was accustomed to with my Kamado. They're also $15 / bag and perform like the Smokehouse blend on temps / ash. However, these are MUCH more difficult for me to find and aren't available year round in most places like the Smokehouse Blend. Fortunately, the Sam's Club near my mom's place has them sometimes, so when I get low I order online and have her pick them up for me to keep stock.
  • Kirkland (Costco) Pellets - These are new and I have not tried them yet, but plan to as soon as I can find them. Apparently they are rebranded Pit Boss pellets though which have mixed reviews, so I will only try one bag. They are only $12.99 / 40 lbs, so again, it's worth the try...stay tuned.

Mods / Accessories
Updated: 05/24/2022
GrillGrates Sear Kit - When I bought my grill, I also ordered these per recommendations here and I love them. I grill on the flat side more often than the ridge side to get more surface area seared, but have also used them for veggies, "naked" chicken nuggets (these are great for freezing individually, then throwing in a huge ziplock for the kids to grab for quick meals), burgers, steaks, and tri-tip. However, when I ordered mine, they were about $70 and now they're SIGNIFICANTLY more than that...with the new higher price, I don't know if I'd buy them again or go with something like cast iron that could also be thrown on the grill to do searing. Also, cleaning the ridged side is difficult and when they aren't in use, I keep them in a cardboard box to capture any grease runoff, so that's a bit of hassle. If you don't mind the cost, they are a great addition to the 1250 though. Now, $110 at Recteq (was $70).

A-MAZE-N Oval Expanding Tube Smoker - I bought one of these at Home Depot and now it's a staple when I smoke larger pieces of meat such as pork butts, brisket, or ribs. I fill it (it expands, so for shorter cooks like ribs, I keep it collapsed and only fill it half full or with brisket, I fill it about 3/4 full) with a mix of pellets and wood chips / chunks of whatever wood I want for the cook. It gives me more control over the flavor of the smoke and also gives more smoke for what I want. ~$25 at Home Depot or cheaper for other brands at Amazon.

Recteq Mesh Cooking Mat - I'm mixed on these. I've managed to destroy 2 of them without doing anything I feel was wrong or incorrect use. They are large and as a result, they will partially go over the gap between the barrel of the smoker and the drip pan which is a hotter spot. On both that I destroyed, they burned / broke down in this area on cooks that were in the 350º range and I didn't feel comfortable using them once the fibers were showing. The first one was replaced by Recteq at no cost, but when it happened again I just threw that one away and decided I wouldn't buy anymore. There are similar ones on Amazon for less but I haven't tried those. Cost $20 at Recteq (Was $15 when I bought mine).

Checkered Chef Baking Sheet with Wire Rack Set 13" x 18" (Amazon) - I have 2 of these and LOVE them. My first one was put in the dishwasher by my wife and the aluminum was corroded, so I ordered a second. Now, I use them both all the time and having 2 is nice. These are great for prep / moving things to and from the grill and the large size works for everything...beef jerky, bacon, steaks, ribs, brisket, or pork butts. For the things like bacon, veggies, and beef jerky, I just lift the wire racks out of the pan and place them on the grill. I can fit 2 of these side by side in the 1250 on the bottom shelf and then have a couple of smaller wire racks that I can fit 2 of in the remaining space. Even better, the WIRE RACKS are dishwasher safe and so far I don't even have to scrub them before loading in the dishwasher. Everything comes off. However, DO NOT PUT THE PANS in the dishwasher! :) They are well worth the $29 IMO and in hindsight would use these instead of the Recteq Mesh Mat.

Inkbird WiFi Grill Meat Thermometer IBBQ-4T (Amazon) - This is one of those products I REALLY wanted to like, but just don't. As far as performance and monitoring, it works perfectly. The display is easy to read when outside and the app is sufficient for checking in on whatever is cooking + the ambient grill temp. However, the alerting is not useful for real life use IMO. In order to get alerts (at least on an iPhone), the app has to be open/active and the screen on. Once the screen goes to sleep or the app is in the background, the alerting is not reliable. The main reason I wanted a device like this was for waking me up in the middle of the night if the grill temps went out of range or when the food was done / ready for wrapping or etc. Unfortunately, it falls short and I went back to my old school Maverick temp monitor that I hadn't used since my Weber SMC days. The other weird thing is that the app asks for access to a lot of info which didn't feel like it should be necessary for the functionality of the monitor. I'm now investigating other solutions that can alert whenever the app is in the background / iPhone screen is off OR can send SMS texts like my FlameBoss does for my Kamado. I can technically use the FlameBoss, but it's overkill for a pellet grill. $60-120 @ Amazon depending on sales.

Alright, that's all for now...I need to get some work done. I'll try to add to this in the future as I learn more!

Any feedback on the above items is greatly appreciated! As I said, I want to flesh this out so that someone new can come in and find the info quickly.

Last edited:
I’m following this thread as I just received my new RT-1250 yesterday. Along with the smoker I also purchased a seer kit, (ACSEKI 19.5 in for the RT-700. The same kit fits the RT-1250 $69.00) a grill pad (RT-LGPAD Large Premium $59.98 it’s really well made and looks cool as hell with recteq and Bull logo branded in with red paint. An (RT-FTG19 Flat Top Griddle RT-700&RT-590 $79.98) A (RT-CKNMT Mesh cooking mat$14.98) Also five 40lb bags= (PEULT200 /200# recteq Ultimate Blend Pellet $100.00) It’s a promotional bundle $75.00 dollars off with the purchase of a RT-1250. This Is a blend of all natural White Oak, Red Oak, and Hickory. No fillers or additive. I’m up in the air about a seal kit. One of the upgrades to RT-1250 is the addition of a drip strip on the lid to prevent juice and grease from running down the front of the cooking chamber and staining it. The strip works well. I added an IBBQ-4BW from Ink Bird. With 4 probes and Ink Bird instant read meat probe.(I highly recommend both of these products). I plan to add a recteq cover this week. Other than a good grill brush and maybe a smoke tube in the near future, I’m done unless y’all have some good suggestions.

I'll continue to work on this post over the next couple of weeks. My grill is all assembled and ready to go, but it rained all day yesterday. I'm planning to do my burn in this afternoon and probably some chicken thighs for dinner tonight.

I've been cooking on mine for three weeks or so. Slowly increasing the difficulty of cooks. It has made some pretty simple things turn out great.

I have the cover. I may have a zipper installed but honestly, just take your time putting it on and taking it off. The fit and finish is great but if you don't care what it looks like then a cover is just to protect the grill. Get anything waterproof you can strap down to keep it on. Mine gets wheeled in and out of the garage so even covered it's under roof.

Good luck and have fun!

The 1250 is much better with the cover than the 700. The difference is the control box. The 1250 box has rounded corners and the 700 had sharper edges. I ended up getting a file to smooth out the 700 box, whereas my 1250 is nice and smooth.

Cover is easy once you get the hang of it, seriously just learn the best way to get it on and off. The recteq cover is very good quality with vents, reinforced corners, and leg straps. This thing wont go anywhere in winds.

One of the best upgrades IMO is a couple large pans for carrying food to and from the smoker and even serving. I picked a few of these large aluminum pans up from a bakery that went out of business. When I set it on the side shelf it gives me a huge surface to work from.

Attachments

• PXL_20211107_192900160.jpg
    PXL_20211107_192900160.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 206
One of the best upgrades IMO is a couple large pans for carrying food to and from the smoker and even serving. I picked a few of these large aluminum pans up from a bakery that went out of business. When I set it on the side shelf it gives me a huge surface to work from.
I agree with having large sheet pans for food. I have 2 half sheet pans with racks that I bought years ago on Amazon and use them for everything. Originally, I got them for cooking bacon in the oven, but now they're perfect for doing pork butts, ribs, etc.

Also a newbie here. Doing my second cook tonight, NY Strip. Set the 1250 to 225 but it ran upwards of 260 for the majority of the cook. Finally came back down into the 225 range. Anyone else noticing this as well?

Mine stays on temperature very well, unless I have the lid open for more than a minute or two. If the controller senses a temperature drop it will try to make up for it buy adding pellets. If you hold the lid open it will keep adding fuel until it sees a rise in temperature. Then you close the lid and all that fuel will burn and can cause it to overheat. It’s very important to preheat your smoker, prep your food, then place it in the smoker and leave the lid shut as much as possible. A quick peek or basting is ok but just get in take care of business and get out. Then you shouldn’t have any problems.

If you hold the lid open it will keep adding fuel until it sees a rise in temperature. Then you close the lid and all that fuel will burn and can cause it to overheat.
This is what happened to me last night. I was in the process of putting pork chops on the grill along with asparagus and took too long, so it really stoked the fire. Ended up overcooking my chops a little, but they were still tasty. Asparagus was on point. lol

I do wish the grill code had the logic to say, "Whoa, the temp just dropped by 100 degrees very abruptly, the door must be open. I'll wait a minute to see if it gets better."

Abrupt large drops aren't likely to happen during cooking, only when the door is opened. It should just hold or possibly push a small amount of pellets in to get the temps back to normal quicker, but not freak out and push a huge load of pellets in.

New here to the forum and look forward to learning more about the pellet world! I've been using WSM and Lang reverse air flow smoker for years so excited about this new venture.
I do have a question tho, I have 4 whole chickens on right now @ 275° and I'm not seeing any smoke.. I know I want TBS (thin blue smoke) but I'm not seeing anything. I did see the smoke while it was warming up to temp bit that's it. Do RT pellet smokers not kick off a lot of smoke? Is the temp too high? Thanks for any feedback!

Smoke on!

Last edited:
The recteq pellet’s are a blend of red oak, white oak, and hickory. While this gives you a very complete burn and a consistent cook, it’s in my opinion a somewhat milder smoke profile. I believe that to be a good thing. You can always add a smoke tube with a stronger profile in addition to the smoke from the recteq blend. I have noticed that the lower temperature settings will give more smoke than a high temperature setting. That is normal because the hotter temperatures burn the pellet instead of smoldering them. A long low temperature smoke will produce a great smoke flavor and a nice smoke ring. This is all a matter of opinion. The amount of smoke you like may be way to much or to little to others.

I just ordered my RT-1250 today!! Really Excited to try pellet smoking. I have been using a charcoal Weber Smokey Mountain for 10 years but I am very tired of it. Its a pain having to unstack the grates to get to the food on the bottom and fighting to keep the temps in cooler weather. I am concerned about getting enough smoke flavor with the pellet smoker. I will probably buy a smoke tube pretty soon, but I am going to give it a few test runs first without.

I just ordered my RT-1250 today!! Really Excited to try pellet smoking. I have been using a charcoal Weber Smokey Mountain for 10 years but I am very tired of it. Its a pain having to unstack the grates to get to the food on the bottom and fighting to keep the temps in cooler weather. I am concerned about getting enough smoke flavor with the pellet smoker. I will probably buy a smoke tube pretty soon, but I am going to give it a few test runs first without.
Congratulations and welcome!

Hey Mark, I ordered mine last week and Estes says it's within 35 miles of my house! I can hardly wait. We'll have to share notes as newbies.

I have not disappeared, just been really busy the last few weeks. I plan to spend some time maybe this weekend updating the initial post with some of my lessons learned so far as well as more notes from my own research.

I've now had my 1250 & 340 for a month. I've only used the 340 once (it's a hangar grill now), but the 1250 gets used several times per week. I am going through pellets a little faster than expected, but at least they're not very expensive! I'm loving the 1250 for sure.

I have not disappeared, just been really busy the last few weeks. I plan to spend some time maybe this weekend updating the initial post with some of my lessons learned so far as well as more notes from my own research.

I've now had my 1250 & 340 for a month. I've only used the 340 once (it's a hangar grill now), but the 1250 gets used several times per week. I am going through pellets a little faster than expected, but at least they're not very expensive! I'm loving the 1250 for sure.
It's VERY important to spend time bonding with the 1250.

What would you ballpark your pellet consumption at lbs per hour? I was hoping it would be comparable to the 700, but with the faster auger, it's probably worst?

What would you ballpark your pellet consumption at lbs per hour? I was hoping it would be comparable to the 700, but with the faster auger, it's probably worst?
I honestly don't even know. Everything I've read says ~1 lb per hour, but I haven't been timing it. I don't think the faster auger would contribute to more usage. If anything, maybe less because it's able to keep the fire stoked more efficiently.

I did put the lava lock gasket on my 1250 which I think helps hold in a little more of the heat (and smoke) which should also reduce pellet usage as well, but I'm not sure. More than anything, I like the lava lock just because of how the lid now feels when I close it.

The pellets are really cheap overall though, so I'm not too worried about the usage as long as it's somewhere around that 1 lb per hour. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back