the fastest way to clean your grill

Pacman said he used denatured alcohol.
Yeah, I used a green Scotchbrite pad first. It was pretty easy. The denatured alcohol made sure any remnants of grease were gone. The tape stuck perfectly. I suppose any solvent would work okay, but denatured alcohol is used for things like fondue pots, etc. so I figured it was safer and would evaporate away cleaner than a "heavier" solvent like acetone, etc.

You could also take the lid off, spray down with degreaser and pressure wash it. More work, but would ensure it’s ready for the lava lock.

Yeah, I used a green Scotchbrite pad first. It was pretty easy. The denatured alcohol made sure any remnants of grease were gone. The tape stuck perfectly. I suppose any solvent would work okay, but denatured alcohol is used for things like fondue pots, etc. so I figured it was safer and would evaporate away cleaner than a "heavier" solvent like acetone, etc.
Good call, not using the acetone on the lid. I don’t think I’d use acetone on anything but the stainless steel portions of the grill. Maybe someone has and it turned out fine, but it can remove or damage a lot of powder coated and painted finishes.

Good call, not using the acetone on the lid. I don’t think I’d use acetone on anything but the stainless steel portions of the grill. Maybe someone has and it turned out fine, but it can remove or damage a lot of powder coated and painted finishes.
I've used acid when cleaning my grill. It makes the task much more pleasurable.

Mushrooms and a clean grill go nicely together.
images.jpg

OK, you guys shamed me into doing a little clean-up on the RT-340. And, the fact that I’m going to install some Lava Lock pushed me over the edge.

My local Ace Hardware had some Traeger (yeah, I know…Traeger) All-Natural Grill Cleaner in stock, so I bought a bottle. Tried it just now and it worked reasonably well. It is not just spray on and wipe away all the residue, but if you follow the directions and let it sit for 5 minutes after spraying it on, it starts to dissolve the black crud pretty well.

I have a bunch of small, stainless steel welding brushes with fairly fine bristles that helps the process along. I’m definitely not done yet as we’re having a summer thunderstorm right now and I thought it wise to suspend operations.

It is going to take a bit of doing yet, but we’ll at least clean the surfaces where Lava Lock will be applied and contact.

has anyone else actually tried soap and water like we use on anything else we cook on? im telling you guys it works so good lol
I must have used the wrong kind of soap—or water—because it didn’t dissolve that black stuff. :rolleyes:

@craigp I put the Lavalock on the lid. It worked out great. I liked the "soft close" feel of the lid so much I used the leftover tape on my pellet hopper lid. That was totally unnecessary, but I figured I didn't need another odd open bag of half of something in my garage.
Thanks for the tip on the LavaLock tape, I just installed some. As you pointed out, I love the way it makes the lid closure soft/silent. I had some left over so I applied it on the inside of the pellet hopper lid as well. It no longer “clangs” when I close it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back