the fastest way to clean your grill

BKF strips the protective layer off of stainless and leaves it naked. It is vulnerable during that time like any other metal, while it is rebuilding its protective layer. So I guess the salt-air got to the metal before it could heal from the BKF treatment. I used it on all my brewing equipment - a lot. But there's no salt air around here, so everything worked as expected on my equipment.
I guess it depends on where you live. Out here in NM salt in the air is not a problem.

I am curious about what you guys think works best to clean grease stains on the exterior stainless steel. I’ve tried Bar Keeper’s Friend but it didn’t do anything at all.

View attachment 16909
I haven’t found any silver bullets that take care of everything, but here are some random observations:

1. Dawn Platinum works better than regular Dawn/Dawn Ultra.

2. LA’s works well, and you can sometimes find it cheap at Dollar Tree. You can also make a mixture of equal parts vinegar and water, with one small squirt of Dawn Platinum per 4 oz. This is also my favorite glass cleaner.

3. Cleaning the grill when it’s warm (not screaming hot) works best, but don’t use a synthetic fiber cloth after any cook above 250-ish. It can melt onto the grill. Just trust me on that 😱.

4. Letting the BKF sit on the grill for a few minutes before scrubbing allows the acid to do it’s thing better.

5. Acetone can work on some of the tough stuff. Again, it’s safest to use natural fibers 😉.

Let us know if you find something that works well on this!

Last edited:
Regarding the inside of my RT-700 not including the grates, I just use a putty knife to scrape and use a shop vac to clean up the debris and ashes. The inside does not need to be shiny new clean. That's flavor and character you are washing away!

The outside has not gotten very dirty from the elements. It sits outside on my deck year round in the wintry north (northern Ohio) and the worst it had was some water spots that wipe away with any spray cleaner.

Reactions: Kim
Before I added the Lavalock tape to my lid, my grill front looked like yours. I used the liquid Barkeepers Friend on a blue Scotchbrite sponge that got most of the gunk. Then I used some denatured alcohol that I was using to prep the lid for the Lavalock and it did a decent job of dissolving the rest of the "spots/stains" although it took a bit for the solvent to do its thing. I went back after that with more Barkeepers Friend and after sealing the lid, I've never had to revisit this job.
Never heard of Lavalock tape before, thanks for the Amazon link. Did you place the Lavalock tape on the lip of the lid or the edge of the drum? Also, did you round it around the edge of the metal or place it on the surface of the edge? Thanks!

Never heard of Lavalock tape before, thanks for the Amazon link. Did you place the Lavalock tape on the lip of the lid or the edge of the drum? Also, did you round it around the edge of the metal or place it on the surface of the edge? Thanks!
Here are a couple pictures of mine. One picture is the lid. The other is the door frame of the smokebox.

20210221_104753.jpg

20210221_104744.jpg

We've used this for quite some time on the outside surfaces:
Traeger All Natural Clear.jpg

We also use it to clean the Porcelain Stove Top

And for deeper cleaning of things like the Grilles, Deflector and such, we use 5 Star BPW

@craigp I put the Lavalock on the lid. It worked out great. I liked the "soft close" feel of the lid so much I used the leftover tape on my pellet hopper lid. That was totally unnecessary, but I figured I didn't need another odd open bag of half of something in my garage.

Does Lava Lock come in black? All I can seem to find is gray. I’m thinking of sealing my grill, but would prefer black over gray. OTOH, I suppose it might turn black fairly quickly with use. ;)

I simply clean the grill grates after each use and replace the foil liner. Also occasionally do an ash check. I will wipe excess grease off the outside…

The newer version of the spun wire bristle brushes that are wound works well. I read reports that the older version brushes may deposit loose bristles and fragments that can be ingested causing problems. I realize the possibilities are remote by who wants to win that “lottery” with so many choices on the market. I also like to use an onion cut in half or a potato cut in half for the hot grates because it is all natural and does not promote wear like the brushes. They have an all hardwood paddle style scrubber/cleaner that I also use on all my grills that works extremely well. You can find it at Costco periodically but Amazon keeps them in stock year round. I stay away from chemical because today’s wonder cleaner always becomes tomorrow’s carcinogen. Just saying…

@craigp I put the Lavalock on the lid. It worked out great. I liked the "soft close" feel of the lid so much I used the leftover tape on my pellet hopper lid. That was totally unnecessary, but I figured I didn't need another odd open bag of half of something in my garage.
With respect to the OP and this thread, how would folks suggest cleaning the cook chamber side of the lid for the Lava Lock? I have used my 700.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back