Bull The danged light - what to do?

wfcook

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So the light is kind of a pain in the rear end:

(1) It gets smoked over very quickly and has to be cleaned regularly. I'm still not sure what the best way to do that is; EZ off works pretty well. Bought a second lens so I can change out while one cleans
(2) It sticks out fairly far in the bull and the large shelf whacks it
(3) That noise you heard on Sunday morning at about 11:00 EDT was me smoking a brisket, because when I went to spritz and some of the cool liquid touched the lens, the glass shattered, raining tiny shards all over the food. It needs to be tempered (correction: I think I mean it should be borosilicate glass) at the very least.
(4) Other than that last one, it has occasionally been kind of handy to have an integrated light.

Anyway, the light just has me scratching my head, because it is the only design feature on the bull that seems poorly considered. What do you guys do about this thing?

Last edited:
I feel ya... It is a feel good add on in my opinion but haven't removed it yet.
Some removed them and tapped into the wiring for an outside light.
Others suggested it ring a bell inside for beer service!
If you notice on a lot of pics of cooks it is totally black, meaning they have given up and just don't it.
If it is in your way you could just remove it and put some furnace tape or similar over the whole.

I'm with you. Took mine off to clean this last Saturday 'cause nothing would cut through to the glass. Thought I'd remove it to soak or something. Turns out it was carbon covering the glass. Wouldn't dissolve. The only thing that worked was a scraper with a razor blade. Of course, now that I have it back on, it won't work. Bulb looks OK, but really can't tell. ?

I'll keep that in mind...Had never cleaned it at all. Won't do that again.

I've found that just regular Dawn dishwashing soap and water works best. Way better than cleaners I've tried.
If it's a big deal, just order 1 or two extras and then rotate and clean them every cook.

(1) It gets smoked over very quickly and has to be cleaned regularly. I'm still not sure what the best way to do that is; EZ off works pretty well. Bought a second lens so I can change out while one cleans
(3) That noise you heard on Sunday morning at about 11:00 EDT was me smoking a brisket, because when I went to spritz and some of the cool liquid touched the lens, the glass shattered, raining tiny shards all over the food. It needs to be tempered at the very least.
(4) Other than that last one, it has occasionally been kind of handy to have an integrated light.

Anyway, the light just has me scratching my head, because it is the only design feature on the bull that seems poorly considered. What do you guys do about this thing?

(3) That noise you heard on Sunday morning at about 11:00 EDT was me smoking a brisket, because when I went to spritz and some of the cool liquid touched the lens, the glass shattered, raining tiny shards all over the food. It needs to be tempered at the very least.

Check out a post from @abed77 Internal light replacement

Man, that's no good. I would've been screaming too. I completely agree, if something is made of glass it should be tempered at least. Sorry it happened to you, but thanks for the heads up so I don't have the same situation! (y)

The glass on the light is just another thing "to do" I clean mine every so often and it works fine. The thing is you have to clean it every so often. Easy to forget and just another thing to do. I like the add on light. I would consider it. ??

The glass on the light is just another thing "to do" I clean mine every so often and it works fine. The thing is you have to clean it every so often. Easy to forget and just another thing to do. I like the add on light. I would consider it. ??
The main issue I have is that I'm now scared to the death of the thing since it exploded and coated a brisket with glass shards.

Correction - it isn't tempered glass I think we need. It's borosilicate glass.

Me too and I was spritzing some butts last weekend.
I did break a light cover in my oven one time when I was spraying water for crusty bread but never thought about it with the smoker.

Hopefully it was a one time thing and I was just unlucky. It was...disappointing...having to order pizza for dinner.

I soaked my lens in a mixture of clorox and dish soap to remove the blackened scum. It worked. I hate that the shelf thing bumps into the lens. The shelf thing doesn"t slide all the way back into the grill because it is stopped by the lens light fixture. That bugs me. The shelf should have a cut out to acccomodate the light. But it doesn't. I don't like it.

I soaked my lens in a mixture of clorox and dish soap to remove the blackened scum. It worked. I hate that the shelf thing bumps into the lens. The shelf thing doesn"t slide all the way back into the grill because it is stopped by the lens light fixture. That bugs me. The shelf should have a cut out to acccomodate the light. But it doesn't. I don't like it.
That light actually acts as a nice stop for the large interior shelf. Why would you want it up against the back of the grills barrel, if loaded with food there would be no convection air flow to have it cook properly.

Completely agree on the issues with the shelf and that darn light. One of them has to go ... and I really like that shelf!

I stopped using the light the first month I had the Bull. I use an outside light to see my food. I love my RT 700.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back