Trailblazer The bull and the turkey

OldBull

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
As easy as it gets. 13.1 lb butterball, Tony chacheries butter injection, olive oil, salt and pepper and the bull at 265° and 5 hours later it was turkey time ( plus the 30 minute rest). That still cooked a little quick, something the bull does consistently but it was good and juicy. A few months back i posted about a butt getting stuck on the grill and one of the posters here said to use a pan, I am never going back, that turkey was delicious, no drippings in the bucket and no grate to clean, good even cooking as well. The probes of course are toast and not to be trusted.

Last edited:
First time doing a turkey on my Bull. Did the spatchcock method and kept things very simple just to see what I can get (heck, we ate alone so what does it matter?) Seasoned butter under the skin but no injection. Lightly seasoned outside and cooked at 250 for 2 hours and 350 for 45 minutes to 168 in the breast.
I really like it but it needed more flavor. However I used Pecan pellets so next time I'm going hickory or some blend. But, my wife and son loved it.
Then I took the leftover meat off the bones and used the bones for a 2 1/2 hour simmer on the stove to make turkey stock so I can make my turkey gumbo (and I'm not cajun but live in the burbs of NOLA). The stock was so good and has a great smokey aroma and flavor. I kid you not, the stock was so good we almost wanted to eat it like soup but it's going to make this gumbo a big hit.

So, Christmas I may do a ham and a turkey at the same time and see how I can get away with it. I know this wouldn't have come out as good on my old Traeger. I love my Bull!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back