Thanksgiving Turkey. Ever stuffed?

LSUdude258

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I plan on smoking a turkey on the Stampede 590 for the first time this year. Plan to brine at least 24 hours as well.

I've been back and forth on whether or not to spatchcock it as I'm nervous about it cooking evenly. Any opinions there?

Had anybody ever stuffed a turkey on the smoker to make stuffing after? Also, any good methods for collecting juices/drippings for gravy? I've seen posts from someone else that said they think the edges of the pan for drippings messed with the airflow and caused the cook to be uneven.

Any advice appreciated thank you.

You can never go wrong with spatching. Unless you leave the poor bird in there to long but anyway you be happy with it. Cooks more even.

As for stuffing, yes I have smoked a turkey and whole chicken stuffed. I've had mixed experiences. One was super flavorful and had a good hint of smoke. The other was dry. Not exactly sure as to what I did different as I didnt keep a log..would I do it again, yuppers!

Heres a whole chicken that I do and would do the same with a Turkey..

https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/bourbon-brine-whole-chicken.677/#post-5891

We've put (halved) Onion in Chickens and they add a nice flavor to the bird and taste great themselves as a garnish to boot
For Thanksgiving, we thought the same, but add a whole Potato (eighth), some Celery, Mushrooms and Garlic Cloves, kinda tossed together inside a whole Turkey
No Bread

I go with onion, apple and garlic cloves. I also stay away from bread in the bird. Wife does stuffing in crock pot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back