Beef Texas A & M Brisket

Edthebook

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Made my fist brisket on the RT 700. I use to do them using the following recipe and bbq sauce on a Kamado but never got the bark and smoke ring like the one I just did.

It was a whole brisket that was almost 12lbs. I trimmed off almost 6 lbs of fat. I put it on at 11 pm at the low/smoke setting that was 180 for about 2 hours using Pit Boss Apple. i also had a rack containing some of the fat above it to help baste it. I raised the temp to 225 after the two hours ( when I woke up to go to the lav) and let it cook thru the night. At 6 am the brisket was about 147 . I raised the temp to 235 until it got to the stall and then wrapped each with pink paper. I than finished cooking at 250 to brisket temp of 200 without the fat above it. The point was done at 1:30 and the flat about 3 pm. Pulled each when they reached 200 and wrapped with foil and let rest In a cooler surrounded with old towels. used this rub and BBQ sauce. Really didn’t need any sauce because it was fantastic, the BBQ sauce is still great as a little extra kick. Hit the blue underline link at the bottom of the attachment to be able to read them. Making the BBQ sauce is easy and the rub is also. I keep the rub in a empty large cinnamon container with the instructions taped on it. The jar also helps applying the rub on the meat. I use also use this rub for other meats. Found Mennards, 5 Below, and the Christmas Store, to have decent prices on the spices

I skip number 6 where it says to add the drippings to the sauce, the fat doesn’t appeal to me. You can try it.
The directions are also for using a lump coal smoker with wood chips. I attached It for the rub and sauce.

Attachments

• B872FB12-2C52-4E14-BE3C-1C0FC79D02FA.jpeg
    B872FB12-2C52-4E14-BE3C-1C0FC79D02FA.jpeg
    842.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 9C9BF90D-1CBE-4F97-98C7-2D38C5528519.jpeg
    9C9BF90D-1CBE-4F97-98C7-2D38C5528519.jpeg
    798.5 KB · Views: 124
  • AC412A44-33D5-40D2-8061-013692C89165.png
    AC412A44-33D5-40D2-8061-013692C89165.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 140
  • A6075512-ABFD-4F4B-AEC6-D9D0C107363A.png
    A6075512-ABFD-4F4B-AEC6-D9D0C107363A.png
    726.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Made my fist brisket on the RT 700. I use to do them using the following recipe and bbq sauce on a Kamado but never got the bark and smoke ring like the one I just did.

It was a whole brisket that was almost 12lbs. I trimmed off almost 6 lbs of fat. I put it on at 11 pm at the low/smoke setting that was 180 for about 2 hours using Pit Boss Apple. i also had a rack containing some of the fat above it to help baste it. I raised the temp to 225 after the two hours ( when I woke up to go to the lav) and let it cook thru the night. At 6 am the brisket was about 147 . I raised the temp to 235 until it got to the stall and then wrapped each with pink paper. I than finished cooking at 250 to brisket temp of 200 without the fat above it. The point was done at 1:30 and the flat about 3 pm. Pulled each when they reached 200 and wrapped with foil and let rest In a cooler surrounded with old towels. used this rub and BBQ sauce. Really didn’t need any sauce because it was fantastic, the BBQ sauce is still great as a little extra kick. Hit the blue underline link at the bottom of the attachment to be able to read them. Making the BBQ sauce is easy and the rub is also. I keep the rub in a empty large cinnamon container with the instructions taped on it. The jar also helps applying the rub on the meat. I use also use this rub for other meats. Found Mennards, 5 Below, and the Christmas Store, to have decent prices on the spices

I skip number 6 where it says to add the drippings to the sauce, the fat doesn’t appeal to me. You can try it.
The directions are also for using a lump coal smoker with wood chips. I attached It for the rub and sauce.
Did my first brisket on my new 340 yesterday and was disappointed. The meat was not tender at all. I have spent hours on the internet and YouTube getting as many pointers as I could beforehand. I had a 4.25 lb competition cut from the butcher - supposed to be Prime quality. I did not cook the flat and the point separately. My stall was around 150 degrees and I wrapped in foil and put back on the smoker until it reached 200. I let it rest for an hour before cutting. I'll give it one more try although I am not sure what I would do differently that would change the outcome. A disappointing and expensive meal!

I never had a bad brisket.

i always cut off all of fat. rinse the brisket and pat dry. Put the rub on and let it set overnight or longer in the fridge in a covered container or zip lock

i always place the Brisket on the grate with a rack above it that has the fat to drip down on it as a baste.

Before when using the Kamado I use to place a pan underneath with water or juice to keep it moist. Didn’t do that with the RT 700 just let the juices drip to the pan below.

The point will be juicier as it contains more fat.

the flat will be a little drier but not like shoe leather. My slices almost fell apart.

the other is before you put the brisket on cut off a corner that is perpendicular to the grain so you know what way to cut when done. Some will use a tooth pick as a indicator. I think that may be your problem. If you didn’t cut across the grain it will be tough.

any piece of meat needs to cut across the grain, chicken, pork, lamb and etc.

give it another shot and do exactly as I did, and cut across the grain

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back