Stampede Temperature on 590 display vs that measured at the cooking grate.

RT told me the same thing about averaging the temperature and not comparing apples to apples when using an external probe to 'check' the RTD. It took me a while to understand this on my BGE also (difference between dome and grate temperature) On a long cook they will eventually even out.

RT told me the same thing about averaging the temperature and not comparing apples to apples when using an external probe to 'check' the RTD. It took me a while to understand this on my BGE also (difference between dome and grate temperature) On a long cook they will eventually even out.
Kennethk;

I don't have a problem with the temps averaging out, what I am questioning is the left and right sides of the cooking area consistently being different throughout the cook. I understand that temperatures can never be rock solid at any given temp in a pellet grill, or my gas oven for that matter.

I just have to figure how much more time to add to the left side items than the right side items so all of them come to temp at the same time. Best way I can figure is playing musical meat in the middle of the cook.

Kennethk;

I don't have a problem with the temps averaging out, what I am questioning is the left and right sides of the cooking area consistently being different throughout the cook. I understand that temperatures can never be rock solid at any given temp in a pellet grill, or my gas oven for that matter.

I just have to figure how much more time to add to the left side items than the right side items so all of them come to temp at the same time. Best way I can figure is playing musical meat in the middle of the cook.

This is on a 700 but you may find it helpful...
This is with the grill pegged at 225 and then much later bumped up to 250. I still have two racks of ribs on there and I just wrapped them and swapped their positions because one was already basically done and reading 200 degrees while the one that started out on the right side was only at 175.

The end result of the design of these grills is basically the same result as a stick burner with the firebox on the left side. With that in mind, the wild swings on the left side back position make sense as it will get the direct result of the grill regulating temperature, while the middle and right side will be more even because they are getting all of their heat due to convection.

The only thing that didn't make intuitive sense to me is how "dead center" is cooler than the right side, but I imagine it has to do with:
1) Air and smoke accumulating on the right side since that is where the smoke stack is, and
2) The center probe was placed directly between two racks of ribs, so it was getting reduced air flow.
3) The heat deflector allows heat to all sides of the grill, so it's not like it's only coming to the left side. My assumption is that the slant / angle of the drip pan would direct it more to the left side than the right.

1612567059293.png

ETA: The temp spike on the far right side is because I bumped the temp up to 250 at that time.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back