Temperature flare

DesertRat

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
I've always smoked my ribs at 225. It gets very hot here in the Mojave and I have my auger shut down as low as it will go. I've never had a problem at 225 with the auger slowed down. But today I was trying something a professional smoker told me a couple days ago. And that was among other things setting the temp at 240. Now I've done at grilling at high temperatures and smoking at 225, but nothing at 240.

So for a while everything was going just fine. After about 45 minutes I noticed my temperature was up to 250 and 60 almost 270. I cut it down, actually went out and opened up the hood for 30 seconds or so. Reset it to 225. That worked fine. Crept up to 230 and 235, where it has been for over an hour with no fluctuation other than the usual couple of degrees. So now I've set it back up to 240 and let's see what happens. The current ambient temperature is down a bit, 101.

And that was among other things setting the temp at 240. Now I've done at grilling at high temperatures and smoking at 225, but nothing at 240.

I know it's not the primary point of your post, but don't expect magical changes in your end product because of a 15F difference in cook temps. It's just not a big change.

In my experience with huge temps swings it's been the cause of two things.

1. Ambient temps being high.
2. Long cooks. 13+ hours.

With long cooks I believe that cause of the ash build up in the pot it just acts basically like a campfire.

Ambient temps. Being here in the south, it's hot. And when my smoker was in direct sunlight, the cooking temps would raise quicker and beyond set point. Once I moved the smoker under my shaded deck the only huge temp swings I have to fight now are from long ass cooks...

Attachments

• 20210417_081544.jpg
    20210417_081544.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back