temp to hot!!

bags77

Grill(s) owned
  1. BFG
  2. Matador
so i got my new bullseye last week, my first cook was chicken wings at 275, i let the grill warm up for about half hour and put the wings on, at one hour i went to flip them and they where close to burnt and internal temp of 180ish so they where done fast... move to the next night cooking one hour ribs let grill warm to 400 and put ribs on, they where burnt and done in 20 mins, i checked the grill temp set to 400 temp reads 400, thermapen reads 525, called recite and they check my settings and then sent me a new RTD temp probe, i replaced that today, set the grill to 300 actual temp says 300 and once again my pen and the meat thermometer on the rector says 400, anyone have this problem?

They’ll tell you to trust the reading on the grill and that no other thermometer will read the temp inside the grill properly even though temperature is an exact science (and I used 4 calibrated probes thoughout the grill to check the cooking temp including one next to the RTD probe). One good thing is the temperature is consistent across the grilling surface, even if it is always hotter than the set temp.

My experience in using the Bullseye for nearly 5 months now, and also with working with recteq support, is that it just cooks hotter. It‘s more of a flamethrower grill than a finely tuned convection oven. It also doesn’t heat that evenly from side-to-side, and in fairness to the Bullseye, many home convection ovens work the same. Slow cooking on it requires some adjustment to the ‘normal’ time and temps one may be accustomed to on other cookers. I’ve found lowering the set temp by 25* and rotating the food 180* for each hour cooked is a good starting point. Or just save it for those hot sear cooks.

Last edited:
Same exact issue. Meat probe and 2 external probes all within a few degrees. RTD probe almost 100 degrees cooler. The grill should work as advertised and not require me to guess what the actual temperature is because the temperature probe is bad, otherwise It's just a fancy looking Weber. Wait, I can control the temp in a Weber, so it's actually worse.

I just got my bullseye and after seasoning the grill, I did a temp probe check by placing my ink bird probe next to the bullseye probe and it shows that the bullseye is running about 85 deg F hotter.
I am going to rotisserie a chicken and set the bullseye at 300 for the cook. Will let you know how it comes out.

I've also noticed the temp is much higher than the RTD claims. If I want to cook low and slow I leave it on 'lo' just in case. Even then I have had it spike past 300 on 'lo' on windy days.

Also have noticed that the temp probe reads about 10 degrees hotter than actual.

I have had my Bullseye for a few weeks now. I have done 2 briskets, 3 pork shoulders, multiple tomahawk steaks, filets etc. I too like most it seems have had the hot Bullseye. My first cook was way high like 80 degrees plus.

I changed Settings indicated on page 13 of the manual I have attached here. My settings are Actual Temp Offset +20(That's a % setting and positive is basically saying how far off my thermometer is on the high side) which is unfortunately the maximum and Auger feed at 35 which is fairly slow. In my earlier cooks while the temp was consistently high it also had some wild temp spikes that I attributed to the auger moving pellets into the firepot too fast.

Luckily I also invested in the Fireboard 2 therm and it works great. I have ambient temp probe right at food level in the middle of the grill and the normal food probes. My "Dialed in" cook is with a 10 pound bone-in pork shoulder, injected. I have shared a link below so you can look at the temps more exactly but also attached a screenshot. Channel 4 is actual grill temp. I cooked at 225 on the Bullseye and it was still a bit high probably 235-240. It cooked a bit faster than I thought overnight and a bit high to 208 so I had to wrap and hold for the day. Family was in love with this pulled pork. Thumbs up from everyone.

So not perfect but I am generally satisfied. If I want actual 225 I can try lowering auger to absolute minimum which I think is setting 30, that may help average it out a bit. I am concerned with fire going out though. I could simply use the LO setting on the grill and change my offset to something lower like +5. I did a little messing with this and I can get it pretty close to 225. Decided I want to see the 'pretty close temp' on the grill's readout. I will consider grill to show about 5% lower than actual. So my 250 setting will actually be in the 260-265 range. My final thing to try would be to mess with the RTD, either replace or mod it to be a little more accurate. Most said Recteq replaced ones didn't do anything though. There are aftermarket ones.

https://share.fireboard.io/3A432E

I let my Riot mode get to 900 degrees and got scared. The deflector plate had turned red. Watch out!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 4.15.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 4.15.40 PM.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 76
  • RT-B380Manual.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 114
I have had my Bullseye for a few weeks now. I have done 2 briskets, 3 pork shoulders, multiple tomahawk steaks, filets etc. I too like most it seems have had the hot Bullseye. My first cook was way high like 80 degrees plus.

I changed Settings indicated on page 13 of the manual I have attached here. My settings are Actual Temp Offset +20(That's a % setting and positive is basically saying how far off my thermometer is on the high side) which is unfortunately the maximum and Auger feed at 35 which is fairly slow. In my earlier cooks while the temp was consistently high it also had some wild temp spikes that I attributed to the auger moving pellets into the firepot too fast.

Luckily I also invested in the Fireboard 2 therm and it works great. I have ambient temp probe right at food level in the middle of the grill and the normal food probes. My "Dialed in" cook is with a 10 pound bone-in pork shoulder, injected. I have shared a link below so you can look at the temps more exactly but also attached a screenshot. Channel 4 is actual grill temp. I cooked at 225 on the Bullseye and it was still a bit high probably 235-240. It cooked a bit faster than I thought overnight and a bit high to 208 so I had to wrap and hold for the day. Family was in love with this pulled pork. Thumbs up from everyone.

So not perfect but I am generally satisfied. If I want actual 225 I can try lowering auger to absolute minimum which I think is setting 30, that may help average it out a bit. I am concerned with fire going out though. I could simply use the LO setting on the grill and change my offset to something lower like +5. I did a little messing with this and I can get it pretty close to 225. Decided I want to see the 'pretty close temp' on the grill's readout. I will consider grill to show about 5% lower than actual. So my 250 setting will actually be in the 260-265 range. My final thing to try would be to mess with the RTD, either replace or mod it to be a little more accurate. Most said Recteq replaced ones didn't do anything though. There are aftermarket ones.

https://share.fireboard.io/3A432E

I let my Riot mode get to 900 degrees and got scared. The deflector plate had turned red. Watch out!
I have a PB850PS2. I like it a lot better than the Traeger I had. But, I can’t get the temp above 400 and that’s not often. I want to be able to sear steaks at around 500 but no luck. I’ve set the control to H and to 459 and 475, but it struggles to even hit 400.
Any ideas?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back