Temp swing range survey at 225 deg.

dcs12345

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Just curious how big of temp swings every sees with their bullseyes when cooking at 225 and what pellets they are using

right now (my second long cook), , feed rate set at 3, using a mix of cherry and hickory Lumberjack pellets that are brand new, my swings (measured with a thermoworks smoke probe with the testing starting after about 2 hours) are:
Min 150
Max 271

I did my first cook at 250, I think it was more stable. I fine with the max temp swing, but that low end swing of 150 is a little more than I want.

75 degrees down seems a little excessive. I might let it go for a while, then bump it up to 250 to see if it like holding that temp better. I seem to remember that it ran between 230ish and 275 when set on 250.

-1 changed the feed rate setting from 3 to 5 and let it run for about an hour and re tested it through a couple of cycles. Either the PID is getting smarter or it made a small difference.
Min 160
Max 260

Last edited:
Do you get the wide swings throughout the cook, or only when it’s first started? my 340 bounces high and low for a cycle or 2 then settles down and stays where it should. Same happens to a lesser extent when changing temps, nature of the beast.

My bullseye get better as I used it. I offset the temp readout also. I definitely likes to be hotter than low. I use my trailblazer for low and slow. Have both grill gives me best of both worlds, plus plenty of cook space at less cost than the big grills

Do you get the wide swings throughout the cook, or only when it’s first started? my 340 bounces high and low for a cycle or 2 then settles down and stays where it should. Same happens to a lesser extent when changing temps, nature of the beast.
The wide swings were the whole time at 225.

I bumped it to 250 and the swings are
280 to 190.
I like that range better and I think the min temp will get better there.

I have done the temp offset already.

Dont know bullseyes but if it were a regular smoker I’d check the temp probe, they’ve been know to be too close to the side, try another bag of pellets as thats something RT will ask you to do. Verify temp swing with a 3rd party probe. Call RT support if ou haven’t already done so.

I would not be satisfied with the swings you are getting.

Understood, but the grill sets the temp from the RTD probe. @padlin00 is correct that you will want to check how close the RTD probe is to the side of the grill.
It’s a bullseye, so it sticks out from the side right below the grate.

1CA8C884-A568-46D8-B4AB-87F6D04177DA.jpeg

Last edited:
What does the RecTeq controller actually show though? Does that show swings also? You really should not(at least on the RT controller) anything more than 5 degrees either way once settled in for a bit. If you are, you probably have a bad controller. I would call RecTeq.

Just curious how big of temp swings every sees with their bullseyes when cooking at 225 and what pellets they are using

right now (my second long cook), , feed rate set at 3, using a mix of cherry and hickory Lumberjack pellets that are brand new, my swings (measured with a thermoworks smoke probe with the testing starting after about 2 hours) are:
Min 150
Max 271

I did my first cook at 250, I think it was more stable. I fine with the max temp swing, but that low end swing of 150 is a little more than I want.

75 degrees down seems a little excessive. I might let it go for a while, then bump it up to 250 to see if it like holding that temp better. I seem to remember that it ran between 230ish and 275 when set on 250.

-1 changed the feed rate setting from 3 to 5 and let it run for about an hour and re tested it through a couple of cycles. Either the PID is getting smarter or it made a small difference.
Min 160
Max 260
I had large temp swings also...mostly at 200 F but some swing at 225F I replaced the stainless steel grate with a cast iron grate from Aura ( currently out of stock but they said in 3 weeks will have back in stock)

this cast iron stabilized the temps and they now hold rock solid steady. I have a post on this from a few days ago for all the details.

the cast iron holds the heat and stabilzes temps at any temp

Hope this helps you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back