Temp problems-new user

Bud

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Happy to find this forum. Just bought a 1250 yesterday. Started today at 400 for an hour just like they recommend. Shut it down after that. Then wanted to see how it works at low temps. Set at 225 and then backed down to the low setting after the temp got to 280 and continued to climb. Has been on for 3 hours now at low setting and is running at 370 and continues to slowly rise. I have not been opening the lid. The cadence that the fan cuts on has not changed, it cuts on every few seconds. Do I have a faulty computer?

probably need to check auger feed rate.
Probably this ^^^

If it's hot out, and if you restarted soon after the shut down, auger could be turning too frequently to obtain and maintain lower temp. You can adjust feed rate in the settings.

Thank you! would that cause the fan to still blow every few seconds?

Thank you! would that cause the fan to still blow every few seconds?
In my experience with the 700 (similar to your pit), it does not do high to low very quickly or particularly well. If you were just performing a test to observe whether or not it could hold "low" (about 180) or 200 temps, and you did it immediately after your 400 run, I would do that test on a different day/cook. There are multiple threads recommending that if you are shutting down from temps around 375-400 or greater, turn the temp down first, walk away and eat or do other tasks, then turn it down further or off later. Shut downs at high temps can result in smoldering fires due to pellets being fed in at the end of the puzzling RT shutdown cycle.

If your pit is cool and relatively clean and you can't hold low temps from startup, you may need to turn down the feed rate, say about 25% for first effort.

I really appreciate the help! Will give it a shot tomorrow.

The fan cycling on and off is how the grill tries to cool down. It’s normal when trying to keep low temps. If the fan cycling doesn’t allow the temps to come down that’s what indicates the minimum feed rate is too high as mentioned in the responses above.

Happy to find this forum. Just bought a 1250 yesterday. Started today at 400 for an hour just like they recommend. Shut it down after that. Then wanted to see how it works at low temps. Set at 225 and then backed down to the low setting after the temp got to 280 and continued to climb. Has been on for 3 hours now at low setting and is running at 370 and continues to slowly rise. I have not been opening the lid. The cadence that the fan cuts on has not changed, it cuts on every few seconds. Do I have a faulty computer?
Since it's a new smoker, I'd also call RecTeq to at least start a record of your issue.

Thank you all! It was the auger speed. Called them and got it straightened out. I appreciate everyone’s help!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back