Temp Changes

Nomad22

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
I am cooking ribs today, trying to do 4 racks on my RT700. The 3-2-1 method calls for 275 degrees for one rack. Should I increase temp for 4 racks? This is a time sensitive cook, so I want to be on time for completion of the cook. Thanks!

Don't think so. This is why you bought the Bull, it'll do 4 racks no problem, I would think.

Are you sure it says 3-2-1 @ 275? Seems hot. For sure you don’t have to go any hotter.

I would probably also rotate them at least once during the 3 hour stretch and once during the 2 hour stretch. On my Bull, left side runs 10-15 degrees hotter than the right.

Thanks everyone. Yes the recteq book recipe says 275 for that recipe. The app has another recipe that says 225. Have several people coming over so I just don’t want to be late with the meat.
The real cooking happens in the wrap. 3 hours at 225 (smoke and color) then if you're concerned, go to 250 or 275 for the wrap. My $.02.

Please let us know how it turned out. I use others information and experience as I plan my cooks.

The Recteq cookbook does indeed call for 275 for 3:2:1 ribs . I tried this recipe a few weeks ago & found the ribs were done at 5 hrs when the ribs were unwrapped. I think 225-230 would have been more on point. Regardless, my wife loved the fall of the bone texture.

i have done 3-2-1 at 225 and 250. 250 was perfect 225 was alittle more of a competition style bite. i will be checking temps for now on and pull at 200 for my next racks and adjust based on that cooks result. 225 had a fantastic flavor

I've done 2 racks up to 5 racks so far on 3-2-1. Always at 225 for the whole cook. Turned out awesome no matter how many I had on there. I didn't notice a difference between quantity.

We've smoked a ton of BBRs, 6 Racks at a time
This has always worked of us:
4.5 hours @ 210
At the 3 hour mark, start spritzing them every 15 mins for that next hour
After the 4.5 hour mark, we kick the Temp up to 275 for a half hour, still spritzing
Then (after 5 hours total) we wrap in foil (with one last spritz) for an approx an hour or until they reach 210 internal
We do not Glaze our Ribs
Rest for no less than 15 mins
You can pull the Bones clean out

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back