BFG Talking myself up from the RT-700 to the RT-2500*

Bluepig

What the heck is it with that astrix? Well, that would be the price difference. I'm still trying to justify almost triple the price of the RT-700 for the feature difference between it and the 2500. The racks, not really. We bought a rack for our GMG Jim Bowie, and it sits in the pantry unused. Surface to surface it seems like you go from 700ish to 1000ish inches of main surface grilling. While that is a huge jump, and not equaled as far as I can tell by other grills, does it justify the step up. Same electronics. A 4" taller opening, great for large birds. Mentally I've already spent the $3000 with tax, but I'm really trying to justify the difference. Help an old man finally make a decision with experience in ownership of both, that assumes there are those who have upgraded.

Thank you in advance.

P.s. I'm sure it is listed on the Rec Tec site, but I can't seem to find the weight of the RT-2500?

AWDIWO!
(Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing)
I agree in large part. That is why you could park a ton plus on any bench I build, and anything I weld will be here 100 years down the road (or at least my welds will be). To your point, that is one of the reasons I am thinking of going big, and I can deal with the lashings my wife will delve out. The 6 year B2B warranty and 1012 main surface area are the keys that have me tipping to excess. Plus the new grill will live its existence in Florida, not Utah. While Utah is horrible for dust and salt (we are at the exact southern tip of the Once Great Salt Lake), it is nowhere as harsh on metals, screws, and welds as anywhere in Florida. My Dad has been there since 1978 and I don't think he has anything that is not showing rust at the seams and other areas. Hell, manufacturers should contract with Florida to only sell products that are traditional sand brown primer colored, that way you'd not look in your garage with disgust. I just bought a very large wire-feed welder, and have not plugged it in. The thought of taking it to FL is breaking my heart. Shop stored and covered, it will still look like a 40-year-old junk yard Ford in 4-5 years.

i bought my rt 700 saturday at rec teq and got to out my hands in the bfg. its impressive. as awesome as my 700 is that bfg is built so strong. the lid has many reinforcements and the shocks that lift the door makes it effortless. you will not regret buying the bfg. its heavy duty

Yes that is a significant price difference. Some of that would be eaten up if you added the competition cart, front shelf and the interior shelf to the 700. That puts it at about $1,800. That is still a $1,000 buck difference to the BFG with apples to apples features on both.

I've had my 700 for about a year. Adding the 2nd shelf does create plenty of room. Where I live the lot sizes are small. It would have been difficult to get the BFG to my backyard. That was a factor along with selling my wife on the extra cost. The 700 is a lot of smoker but darn that BFG looks awesome. I probably would have bought it if I thought about it a bit longer.

Well, that is the kicker. To me alone, beyond the helpful suggestions and experiences. If it weighs more than twice that of the RT-700, then structurally it is more than likely worth it in potential durability. The RT-2500 it is.

Plus, it will save Rec Teq a few game tokens shipping it to Fort Walton FL over Lake Point UT

Hey, look at the advantage of getting the BFG, it's insurance!

No way that heavy mofo is going to blow over in a wind storm :ROFLMAO:

You will definitely like it. i know you said it has only 300 sq in more on the main rack. when you see it in person it looks twice as big as the 700. rec teq says you can cook a 70lb max pig in the bull and the bfg was 190-200lb pig! the overall construction is impressive on the bfg, comparing the 700 to the bfg from a build quality stand point is like comparing the 700 to a lowes grill. its a noticeable step up. the bfg has a large square fire pot also so i would expect it to heat up fairly fast for its size. click that buy button man. i wish i could afford a bfg

What the heck is it with that astrix? Well, that would be the price difference. I'm still trying to justify almost triple the price of the RT-700 for the feature difference between it and the 2500. The racks, not really. We bought a rack for our GMG Jim Bowie, and it sits in the pantry unused. Surface to surface it seems like you go from 700ish to 1000ish inches of main surface grilling. While that is a huge jump, and not equaled as far as I can tell by other grills, does it justify the step up. Same electronics. A 4" taller opening, great for large birds. Mentally I've already spent the $3000 with tax, but I'm really trying to justify the difference. Help an old man finally make a decision with experience in ownership of both, that assumes there are those who have upgraded.

Thank you in advance.
As the old saying goes “buy once, cry once”. 😁

the bfg is expensive but its actually in my opinion a better value than the bull. you get the comp cart multiple racks included and the front shelf and a big super heavy duty grill. they now have a cover for it to. im sure you already know all that but those are selling points that may help with the wife. it didn’t work with mine though lol. congratulations

the bfg is expensive but its actually in my opinion a better value than the bull. you get the comp cart multiple racks included and the front shelf and a big super heavy duty grill. they now have a cover for it to. im sure you already know all that but those are selling points that may help with the wife. it didn’t work with mine though lol. congratulations
Well, the deed is done. Ordered it this morning via phone. Knowing they have a cover for it is cool, here comes the second mortgage...

Well, the deed is done. Ordered it this morning via phone. Knowing they have a cover for it is cool, here comes the second mortgage...
Congratulations, now the agony of the wait.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back