Surprise request

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
A week ago, a neighbor texted me and asked if I could bbq tritip, ribs and brisket for a family party. They had first asked my wife, who told them to ask me. They are nice enough people, but I still thought it was a lot to ask someone for a whole day of their time. I really don't think people know the labor investment in BBQ. Anyway, I accepted to do it, except for the brisket. Brisket is just too long an ordeal and only the top quality meat (read that as top $) seems to work out well, and frankly, not many people want to spend $80-100 on a piece of meat.

So, here I am Friday morning, doing some ribs and tritip, hanging out on the Rectec forum. Not a bad way to spend a day.

Ribs on...

20210219_080926.jpg

The small things come back in big ways.. You are a good person to accept.

How do you keep her so clean looking?

A week ago, a neighbor texted me and asked if I could bbq tritip, ribs and brisket for a family party. They had first asked my wife, who told them to ask me. They are nice enough people, but I still thought it was a lot to ask someone for a whole day of their time. I really don't think people know the labor investment in BBQ. Anyway, I accepted to do it, except for the brisket. Brisket is just too long an ordeal and only the top quality meat (read that as top $) seems to work out well, and frankly, not many people want to spend $80-100 on a piece of meat.

So, here I am Friday morning, doing some ribs and tritip, hanging out on the Rectec forum. Not a bad way to spend a day.

Ribs on...

View attachment 8620
Wow, you are a better person than I am as I would charge for my time but again all of my friends know that they can order from me and I will supply them with a delicious dinner. I do a bit of catering on the side to help pay for my obsession.

The small things come back in big ways.. You are a good person to accept.

How do you keep her so clean looking?

Sdynak,
I pull the grates and use a bbq grill scotchbrite pad and some soap after each big cook and change the foil and vacuum it out. Not too bad.

Wow, you are a better person than I am as I would charge for my time but again all of my friends know that they can order from me and I will supply them with a delicious dinner. I do a bit of catering on the side to help pay for my obsession.

Thor,
I don't cater for money, although I've been asked. I have catered just the bbq for a friend's Christmas party a few years. I also catered the bbq at work a few times and a good friend's bday party. I did the bbq for my wifes retirement party for about 100 people a couple years ago. Stuff like that over the years. I don't want to charge, because then there's an expectation, and we don't need the money. My time is valuable to me, but not in terms of dollars. I just didn't think I was close enough to these folks to see this much of a favor being asked. Still, I enjoy doing good bbq.

3 Speed Ribs...
The thinnest of the racks on the right is about tender and I sauced it. The next one will be the one on the left. I think it need another 30-45 mins, then I'll sauce it. The one in the middle is going to drag out at least another hour, is my guess. I'm cooking at 250F.

The tritips are done. I'm chilling them so I can slice them nicely, then they'll get put into my au jus overnight and given to the neighbor.

20210219_134153.jpg
20210219_134202.jpg

3 Speed Ribs...
The thinnest of the racks on the right is about tender and I sauced it. The next one will be the one on the left. I think it need another 30-45 mins, then I'll sauce it. The one in the middle is going to drag out at least another hour, is my guess. I'm cooking at 250F.

The tritips are done. I'm chilling them so I can slice them nicely, then they'll get put into my au jus overnight and given to the neighbor.

View attachment 8621View attachment 8622
Those look awesome, great job

Nice work my friend (y)

Neighbor came by to pickup the Q. She said this was for her mother who said she wanted BBQ for her bday. She's 82. I feel a bit better. I like her mom. She asked how much and I quoted her the meat cost. She gave me a Benjamin. I did the math. $2.25/ hr. I might look into another line of work. :LOL:

Neighbor came by to pickup the Q. She said this was for her mother who said she wanted BBQ for her bday. She's 82. I feel a bit better. I like her mom. She asked how much and I quoted her the meat cost. She gave me a Benjamin. I did the math. $2.25/ hr. I might look into another line of work. :LOL:
Thanks for doing this cook for your neighbor you made your neighbor and her 82 year old mothers day special.

Last edited:
Catering BBQ, especially if you provide everything from tables/chairs to the whole meal, is an insane amount of work for what people are typically willing to pay. They want a top notch meal for Jimmy Johns prices.

Well if you were my neighbor by the look of it I would probably be knocking at your door also!! Everything is picture perfect. It takes talent for results like that and a ton of experience. Not just anyone can do this. Nice job and sweet story about mom. You may not realize it but there will be a kick back somewhere for being a good person. Even if you sleep better.

Well if you were my neighbor by the look of it I would probably be knocking at your door also!! Everything is picture perfect. It takes talent for results like that and a ton of experience. Not just anyone can do this. Nice job and sweet story about mom. You may not realize it but there will be a kick back somewhere for being a good person. Even if you sleep better.
Karma doesn't forget addresses.

Is this the scrubber you use? I assume you scrub with the grain and not in circles on the SS so as not to leave swirl marks?

View attachment 8626

The brand I found at HomeD is Citrusafe. Probably the same thing. Super coarse and stiff. Also available on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Citrusafe-He...trusafe+grill+scrubber&qid=1613838482&sr=8-17
Spraying and soaking with one of the foaming bbq grill cleaners helps a lot. I'd like to find a good fitting plastic tray to soak them outside, since they don't fit well in our sink.

Be aware it does scratch the finish on the grates. I'm ok with that.
71nNPMz99YL._AC_SY879_.jpg

Last edited:

Ribs on...

View attachment 8620

Ribs on...

View attachment 8620
I would have told them that this was the Lord's work through you, that you really didn't want to do this so they understood what really took place with fulfilling their request. Nice looking ribs!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back