Sun induced temp swings

Bytor

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
There's been some discussion off and on about temperature swings of the Rec Tec's. The photo below shows how a hot sunny day in the sun can affect pit temp's. For the first few hours, my Trailblazer was in the shade and held 225 all of the time. Once the sun began beaming down, the temperature began to rise. I moved the smoker in and out of the sun for a short time before completely leaving it in the shade, which was after the last peak. Doing that really settled the system down and had it running as it normally does when not in direct sunlight. Something to consider as we come up on Summer, or at least hotter weather.

Happy Memorial Day, God bless the fallen.

Temps.jpg

Last edited:
There's been some discussion off and on about temperature swings of the Rec Tec's. The photo below shows how a hot sunny day in the sun can affect pit temp's. For the first few hours, my Trailblazer was in the shade and held 225 all of the time. Once the sun began beaming down, the temperature began to rise. I moved the smoker in and out of the sun for a short time before completely leaving it in the shade, which was after the last peak. Doing that really settled the system down and had it running as it normally does when not in direct sunlight. Something to consider as we come up on Summer, or at least hotter weather.

Happy Memorial Day, God bless the fallen.

View attachment 4214
Great information there are lots of things that can cause temperature swings and this one, sun induced heat is on the top of the list.

Last edited:
Thanks for the picture bytor. I have always thought wind and sun (hot weather) always impacted my cooks far more than very cold days. Your graph shows that clearly.

This should remove all doubt. Good post

Great post. With that said, I wonder about a deflector shield, or something of that sort, being placed between probe and the wall of the grill. I know we have a great group of people on here that might be able to figure it out. Just my thoughts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back