Sturdiness of the RT-340

padlin00

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I was hoping to make it to Augusta last month while touring GA to personally check out the 340 but the pandemic halted those plans before we got there.

The size of the 340 looks about right for the 2 of us, can anyone comment on how sturdy the legs and frame are? I'll need to be able to roll it over the grass from the shed to the patio now and then and don't want it to collapse on me.

Bob

Hey Bob,

I have a 340 and as a whole, it's pretty sturdy. I move it around on my patio without any issues. I'm not sure how sturdy it would be moving around on grassy surfaces. To extend the legs, there's a bracket that fits into a slot on the unit itself. The manual warns against moving while upright several times.

1586182032367.png

When folded, it travels really well. Have lent it to a buddy a couple times, and it’s worked great that way. For the size, it’s also reasonably sturdy extended, though I do recommend the stainless bottom tray accessory, sure helps a lot.

Overall though an amazing little grill! Did a 15lb brisket last week, my first rack of ribs before, and smoking some salmon today. Not once a disappointing cook so far!

Does it take 2 to fold down or move in folded mode? I see it's 90 lbs.

I haven't collapsed my unit, though I assembled it by myself and it wasn't that heavy. This link shows how it can be set up and in reverse for collapsing it. It starts at around 14:50. I would also agree with getting the bottom tray.

The video says it comes standard with the bottom shelf but I also see one as an add-on, I'm taking it that an add-on is the correct answer.

Well, that might depend. When I ordered mine, this past November, it came with the bottom shelf. However, I have also heard of units not coming with it. You might want to double check, but I think it's included with them now.

Bought mine in January and it came with the bottom shelf. The shelf was a little hard to get on the legs. Had to really push them apart to get it to fit but it really stiffens up the undercarriage and I have had no issues with how sturdy it is. I move it around on a brick patio so it is a fairly uneven bumpy surface.

Well, that might depend. When I ordered mine, this past November, it came with the bottom shelf. However, I have also heard of units not coming with it. You might want to double check, but I think it's included with them now.
I had the same question when I ordered mine.....All the Rt340 now come standard with the bottom shelf....They still show it as an option for those who want one for an older grill.....I love my 340......

I was hoping to make it to Augusta last month while touring GA to personally check out the 340 but the pandemic halted those plans before we got there.

The size of the 340 looks about right for the 2 of us, can anyone comment on how sturdy the legs and frame are? I'll need to be able to roll it over the grass from the shed to the patio now and then and don't want it to collapse on me.

Bob
To push it thru grass with the little wheels that come with it will be challenging. I found just moving mine anywhere with just the little wheels was challenging so I put another set of wheels on mine & it works great. I put a post on here showing what I did. I did purchase the bottom shelf to help stabilize it. Other than the wheels this is a great little pellet grill & customer service is great..

Thanks, I'll see if I can find the thread.

Found it, you weren't messing around going to bigger wheels.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find the thread.

Found it, you weren't messing around going to bigger wheels.
They really did make a difference. I can move it over pretty rough ground & it is very stable. With just the little wheels the grill was very unstable just moving it around on my driveway which is somewhat unlevel at spots.. In the grass it was really bad. The grill is a super nice but I do think the wheels need upgraded. Good luck with what you decide.

In addition to what others said, I find the top handle handy for stairs and bumpy areas. As far as vehicle travel, when not in my truck, it still fits nicely in our mid size suv. Love my trailblazer!

Looking into the 340. Is this something that's sturdy enough to permanently put on a deck (covered when not in use) and it should hold up and remain upright in the elements, or do you recommend storing away when not in use?

Bob
Hi Bob, I love my 340, and it is sturdy, but I don't think I would try rolling it across the yard. The tray underneath does stabilize it some, but whenever I move it, (take to the beach on vacay), I just fold the legs and carry it where I need it..

Looking into the 340. Is this something that's sturdy enough to permanently put on a deck (covered when not in use) and it should hold up and remain upright in the elements, or do you recommend storing away when not in use?
I have had my Trailblazer set up on my back patio since last November. It's covered when not in use and seems to handle the weather quite well. No need in storing it away, if you don't need to. They now come with the bottom tray when purchased, so they are pretty stout.

Hi Bob, I love my 340, and it is sturdy, but I don't think I would try rolling it across the yard. The tray underneath does stabilize it some, but whenever I move it, (take to the beach on vacay), I just fold the legs and carry it where I need it..
Hey can the 340 fit in the trunk? I have a full size sedan chrysler 300 and wanted to take or to the shore. I own the Bull So I was hoping I could get his little brother in the trunk. Thanks

I would say probably, I have rented a few 300's and the trunks are decent size. The question is how good is your lower back o_O

Going by the dimensions on the RT website, the unit would be 35" wide x 19.5" deep x about 26" tall. If you could lay it on it's back to cut down on the height.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back