String Cheese

zebra

Looking for recipes for smoked string cheese and did not see much searching the threads.
Was wondering if anyone has done this and what method/time they used. Not sure if I would need a smoke tube or low and slow @ 180 degrees.

Thanks in advance for your help!

You will want to cold smoke any cheese, below 60º is preferable. Most people will cold smoke at night as that is when the temps are the lowest.
If I have a hankering for smoked cheese during any other time, I will add a bowl of ice in the chamber to lower temps and with my smoke tube the temps stay around 70º.

You will want to cold smoke any cheese, below 60º is preferable. Most people will cold smoke at night as that is when the temps are the lowest.
If I have a hankering for smoked cheese during any other time, I will add a bowl of ice in the chamber to lower temps and with my smoke tube the temps stay around 70º.
Thank you for the feedback Thor

Agree with the others. I smoke it along with other cheeses. See pic. I put the smoke tube underneath and don't turn on the fan or anything else. Goes for ~2 hrs for the string cheese. Got some in the fridge right now!

Attachments

• 46A500E2-386B-4F8F-A0E7-5D266344D9C4.jpeg
    46A500E2-386B-4F8F-A0E7-5D266344D9C4.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 97
Agree with the others. I smoke it along with other cheeses. See pic. I put the smoke tube underneath and don't turn on the fan or anything else. Goes for ~2 hrs for the string cheese. Got some in the fridge right now!
Thanks for the assistance. The visual definitely helps a lot.

@Mannydog thats a lot of cheese. What’s your favorite to smoke. I really like smoked Gouda but would like to smoke some others

I use a cold smoke generator and leave the grill off. One thing I will recommend is after smoking, leave it in the fridge in a ziploc bag for like 3 days. It will change how smoky it is and let the smoke soak into the cheese in my opinion.

I usually wrap mine in butcher paper for 2days in the fridge and then put it in either Saran Wrap or vacuum seal it for a week or two

@Fhughes we love to smoke these cheeses that we find at our Costco. Our absolute favorite is Tillamook Maker’s Reserve aged white cheddar. It’s been at Costco a couple of times but isn’t a regular.

10C4984A-A67C-4946-AF7D-F26C5451AD53.jpeg

I definitely favor the aged cheddars, like Cabot's 3-year, or Kerrygold reserve. But I'll usually do a mix including some smoked mozzarella, Gouda, Pepperjack, or even parmesan.

Attachments

• 85CE5C85-23C7-4B02-B918-D52262574862.jpeg
    85CE5C85-23C7-4B02-B918-D52262574862.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
I agree with others, it's best to let them sit a bit before enjoying. Usually a couple weeks if you can hold off. But first I try to be very careful about contamination right after smoking the cheese, so I'll let them cool on the counter for a few hours, then wear nitrile gloves to add a little salt all around each piece and individually bag each one with the vacuum sealer. I actually have my (very) old college fridge that I use for all the smoked cheeses. My cheese fridge is right next to my beer fridge!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back