Pork Steen's Baby Back Ribs

Shadowboxer

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
The following is a recipe I modified from the Big Green Egg operational manual ( which has a few recipes ) And yes, I still have my Egg and I love it.

I makes , in my opinion, hands down the best sweet and savory baby back ribs I have ever tasted. Hope you like the recipe as well!!

INGREDIENTS

Rub, see below
4 racks of baby back ribs
12 oz of Steen's syrup
1 bottle of your favorite bbq sauce ( I recommend Bullseye for this recipe )
1 bottle of apple cider or apple juice ( only need about 12 oz or so )
4 10 x 12" foil baking pans
Heavy duty Aluminum foil.
Ingreidents&Prep.jpg

RUB
I will start with the rub. It is fantastic! It is also from the Green Egg book and is titled "Big Time BBQ Rub". I modified it slightly. This recipe makes enough rub for 4 racks of baby backs. I usually make up a double or triple batch. BTW, sams has all the ingredients for this rub in those giant containers which can save you a lot of money if you make a lot of this rub like I do.

1/4 cup salt
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
1/4 cup granulated brown sugar
1 Tbsp granulated onion
2 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper ( I prefer Tellicherry )
2 Tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp granulated garlic
2 Tbsp smoked paprika
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp ground thyme leaves

PREP

Remove the membrane from the baby back ribs. ( I know everyone probably knows this method, but I did not. The easiest way to take off the membrane is with a butter knife and paper towels. Carefully slide the tip of the butter knife between the bone and the membrane near the smaller end of the rack. Rock the knife back and forth until you have enough space to slide your finger under. Pull up with the paper towel to slowly pull the membrane off. Regrip as you go to stay close the ribs. Works every time. ) I then like to cut the racks in half. Thickly coat the ribs with he rub, about 1/4 on the bone side and the rest on the meat side. Set them aside for 20 or 30 minutes. Preheat the smoker to 275 degrees.

SMOKE

I smoke them for 3 hours at 275 degrees using a cherry/apple/hardwood blend pellets ( please don't shoot me here, but I really like the Traeger Signature Blend pellets for my ribs which is maple/cherry/hardwood) Take the ribs out and thickly slather them with Steen's syrup, really thick ( a 12 oz can is usually enough for 4 racks ).
SlatherEm.jpg

I then stand them up skinny side down in a doubled 10 x 12" foil baking pan, 3-4 half racks per pan. I use a big wad of heavy duty foil to keep them standing . Pour in about a 1/2 inch of apple juice or apple cider, pour any leftover steers on top the ribs, and then double cover the pans in heavy duty foil.
TheSteamer.jpg

Covered&steaming.jpg

Increase the grill to 325 degrees and steam them in the apple juice for 1 1/2 hours. Reduce the grill to 220 degree and cook for about 30 minutes more. At that time, take each 1/2 rack out, and slather it in you favorite bbq sauce ( Bullseye is perfect with the recipe, imo ), put them back on the grill and smoke them for another 30 minutes. Then, done. Enjoy!

FinalSmoke.jpg

Looks fantastic!

I love Steen’s cane syrup, but unfortunately the wife and I went on a keto diet a couple of months ago so that’s on the Do Not Fly list!

Has anyone tried using Steens with the 2-2-1 method? Maybe slather during the wrapped time? I want to try this but I'm going to have a tri tip on at the same time so would like to keep temp at 225.

Not at all. I think that the steam from the apple juice and the bullseye mitigates the sweetnesss somewhat. They come out just seeet enough!!

For those of Y'all who don't have easy access to Steen's Syrup, Grandma's Molasses is very similar in flavor profile. Don't sub Brer Rabbit!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back