Stampede Stampede With Camp Chef Sidekick Mod

getzjd

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
As has been done by a few others. Took me about 20 minutes to attach it. The grill box buried the thermometer at over 750 degrees. I will get my meat thermometer out one day for a more accurate reading. Perfect to sear some nice steaks.

5/16 metal drill bit
5/16 carriage bolts and nuts
large and small 5/16 washers
high temp fire block caulk to seal the bolts

top2.jpg

top1.jpg

bottom.jpg

Nice, just hookup the LP tank and you are ready to go!
Best Greg

Measured the Sidekick temperature with an temp gun and was reading 1027. That thing rocks

Nicely done! Looks like it fits perfectly - better on the Stampede than on the Bull due to the lack of smokestack. RecTec should offer one as an option along with the smokebox.

As has been done by a few others. Took me about 20 minutes to attach it. The grill box buried the thermometer at over 750 degrees. I will get my meat thermometer out one day for a more accurate reading. Perfect to sear some nice steaks.

5/16 metal drill bit

View attachment 2380

View attachment 2381

View attachment 2382
Nicely done! Looks like it fits perfectly - better on the Stampede than on the Bull due to the lack of smokestack. RecTec should offer one as an option along with the smokebox.

5/16 metal drill bit

View attachment 2380

View attachment 2381

View attachment 2382
Does it pull or bend the sidewall of the smoker? Looks great.

No, it does not seem to pull or bend the sidewall. The legs of the sidekick look like they help with that.

5/16 metal drill bit

View attachment 2380

View attachment 2381

View attachment 2382
Great job. The last thing you need to do is remove the handle from the grill box and add 2 horns. Job Complete!

How about a cover?Do you have one that fits? Does the original one fit?

With the grill box, it is 62" wide. I bought the Char-broil Extra Large 65" grill cover and it fits fine. I did not buy a cover from Rec-Tec.

With the grill box, it is 62" wide. I bought the Char-broil Extra Large 65" grill cover and it fits fine. I did not buy a cover from Rec-Tec.
Rec Tec makes a cover for the bull and cold smoker. Maybe that would fit.

Reactions: SMG
Rec Tec makes a cover for the bull and cold smoker. Maybe that would fit.

I’m wondering about this too. I want to buy a cover but not sure if a 700 cover will fit with a side sear attached.

I’m wondering about this too. I want to buy a cover but not sure if a 700 cover will fit with a side sear attached.
It may be a moot point, as the covers are out of stock and there are rumors that the smoke box is discontinued. If that’s the case, the covers may be discontinued as well.

It may be a moot point, as the covers are out of stock and there are rumors that the smoke box is discontinued. If that’s the case, the covers may be discontinued as well.

Man that’s a bummer.

5/16 metal drill bit

View attachment 2380

View attachment 2381

View attachment 2382
Saw a video on YouTube on someone doing this. Looks like he only drilled the four holes at the top of the Sidekick but did not drill the two holes for the Sidekick leg support. Did you drill those two as well or just the four bolts at top? Thanks

Saw a video on YouTube on someone doing this. Looks like he only drilled the four holes at the top of the Sidekick but did not drill the two holes for the Sidekick leg support. Did you drill those two as well or just the four bolts at top? Thanks
I did not drill the bottom bolts. The legs rest against the side and provide the support by pushing against the side.

I did not drill the bottom bolts. The legs rest against the side and provide the support by pushing against the side.
Thanks. I was hoping that the support would be there without drilling additional holes. Appreciate the quick response!

Measured the Sidekick temperature with an temp gun and was reading 1027. That thing rocks

How is the grill working out? Do you have the grill or searbox? I’m torn between the two since I want something that gets over 900F, but if the grill does then I might do thaT

How is the grill working out? Do you have the grill or searbox? I’m torn between the two since I want something that gets over 900F, but if the grill does then I might do thaT

I have the Sidekick with griddle and grill box.

I’ve been going back-and-forth between the camp chef and the RT 590, wanting the RT 590 because of obvious build quality, but wanted the versatility of that sidekick. You should get a commission because you just sold Rec Tec a 590 now that I can do this mod. Thank you!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back