Stampede Stampede - Grease on Front

myersdann

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Just got a new 590. Completed 2 cooks on it so far... chicken thighs and burgers. Seems to be a lot of grease coming from underneath teh lid and running down the front of the smoker. Is this a common occurrence? Also, no grease is going into my drip bucket.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

welcome to the forum. alot of people seal there lids with adhesive gasket tape like lavalock available on amazon. some have also pit a drip edge inside there lids to help. soap will help remove most of it then bar keepers friend will finish the job. just rub with the grain so you dont make any noticeable scratches

welcome to the forum. alot of people seal there lids with adhesive gasket tape like lavalock available on amazon. some have also pit a drip edge inside there lids to help. soap will help remove most of it then bar keepers friend will finish the job. just rub with the grain so you dont make any noticeable scratches
Thanks so much for the info. Much appreciated.

Odd that you are getting enough grease to leak out the lid, but none in the bucket. Make sure you have the drip tray installed correctly. It should slope slightly towards the bucket end of the smoker.

R u using on driveway? Is there a slope that may hamper proper drainage? I found that out after second smoke, ( ever so slight )grease was not running where it was suppose to.
Have never had grease run down the front, but I have installed lava lock also. Maybe something with the new venting on rear ???

You must be cooking at a higher heat, with greasy food, it's spattering onto the lid and running down the front. If you have the space, keep the meat toward the back and away from the front to reduce the splattering on the front of the lid.
I mostly use mine as a smoker so really don't have much splattering of grease.
If you put the gasket on the bottom edge of the lid, it may get soaked in grease, though it won't run down the front of your grill (y)
Many people put a gasket around the entire perimeter of the lid to keep the outside of the grill cleaner, but we don't want to start a gasket vs no gasket debate as it's been argued to death.

Also, no grease is going into my drip bucket.
You proabably need a long slow cook with something like a pork shoulder or brisket to get enough grease for it to run into the bucket. Cooking chicken and or burgers at a higher heat, the grease is probably burning off before it can run down the drip tray into the bucket :unsure:

R u using on driveway? Is there a slope that may hamper proper drainage? I found that out after second smoke, ( ever so slight )grease was not running where it was suppose to.
Have never had grease run down the front, but I have installed lava lock also. Maybe something with the new venting on rear ???
No, it’s on level ground. I can’t figure it out. I have been having difficulty getting the drip pan in the grill though. Almost seems like the smoker is too small to get the pan in and out. Feel like I have to do a lot of maneuvering just to get it in and out.

I have been having difficulty getting the drip pan in the grill though. Almost seems like the smoker is too small to get the pan in and out. Feel like I have to do a lot of maneuvering just to get it in and out.
Raise the left side up and the right side downward angled kinda like this "\"
It should come in and out effortlesly unless you have it in backwards.

Raise the left side up and the right side downward angled kinda like this "\"
It should come in and out effortlesly unless you have it in backwards.
Thanks. I’m sure I’m just doing something obviously wrong.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back