charlesrshell

Pellet Grill Rookie
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I have decided to install a custom front folding shelf for my Stampede. Does anyone know a wood worker that could make me a shelf? I am not sure what kind of wood or finish. Doesn’t need to be real fancy. I figure a good size would be 30 x 12 x ½ or ¾ inch. Here are the brackets I want to use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DCNNMSM/

Got some stainless steel hooks on order for my shelf to hang things.

1595713655670.png

I have Venezuelan Rosewood, African Mahogany and Burmese Teak in stock. All too valuable to make a grill shelf out of! If I do wood it will probably be #1 kdat 5/4 on the brackets the OP linked to but I am leaning towards a powder coated expanded metal shelf. Why introduce wood when everything is metal? If you can live with the size the factory accessory is more than likely the most economical solution.

I have Venezuelan Rosewood, African Mahogany and Burmese Teak in stock. All too valuable to make a grill shelf out of! If I do wood it will probably be #1 kdat 5/4 on the brackets the OP linked to but I am leaning towards a powder coated expanded metal shelf. Why introduce wood when everything is metal? If you can live with the size the factory accessory is more than likely the most economical solution.
Thanks @GH41. I have already ordered the SS folding brackets. I am pretty sure I am going to get this wood from HD. They have it in stock. It is a little wide but I think it will work. They wife thinks wood would be much prettier and Rec Tec is out of stock on the metal shelf till August. She wants to stain it. What do you think?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/36-in-x...Red-Oak-Stair-Tread-8430R-036-0000L/202353497

Whatever species you choose to use make sure you seal the wood.

For mine I just use 3/8 pine. Sealed it with pure polyurethane. I can get water on it, sauce, food etc and wood will be protected. Cleans easily

Attachments

• 20190625_174812.jpg
    20190625_174812.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 258
  • 20190625_174801.jpg
    20190625_174801.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 261
  • 20190628_170506.jpg
    20190628_170506.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 264
Whatever species you choose to use make sure you seal the wood.

For mine I just use 3/8 pine. Sealed it with pure polyurethane. I can get water on it, sauce, food etc and wood will be protected. Cleans easily
Thanks @ndfan6464. Looks really nice. I see your shelf is about 30" wide. I was thinking of going with 32" wide. Do you think 36" is too much? How do you think pure polyurethane will look on this red oak?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/36-in-x...Red-Oak-Stair-Tread-8430R-036-0000L/202353497

A piece of sealed cedar I think would be my choice. As wide as what the cook chamber is for width.

Thanks @ndfan6464. Looks really nice. I see your shelf is about 30" wide. I was thinking of going with 32" wide. Do you think 36" is too much?

I made mine as wide as the the cooking chamber. Cant remember how wide that exactly is. You could always mount your brackets, open them and then lay the tread on them and see if you like 36" or not. If it's to wide then just cut it down to the width that works for you.

For red oak and this is what I would do. I would rub the oak down in Danish oil to bring out the red in the oak. Red oak looks great when oiled. Once the oil has fully cured then apply your coats of poly.

Again this is just what I would do. It's your project and cooker. So do what makes you happy. Nothing I or the rest of us say is the only way to do it. Have fun doing it in way that you want to...

share pics when done.. love to see what you come up with.

If your unfamiliar with how to use pure poly then use wipe on. Itll just take more coats to get a good protection.

2 coats for pure polyurethane
4-6 coats for wipe on.

Thanks @ndfan6464. I don't know anything about paints or stains. I couldn't find any pure poly so I got a court of oil based Poly+Stain Classic Oak Satin. Do you think that will be OK? I like opinions and help. I think you are right about trying out 36" and then cut it down if needed. I bet drilling straight holes is going to be fun.

I think there are many variables at play. Will the wood be exposed the sun for extended periods of time? If so your finish needs a UV rating, something like Spar Varnish. However if you plan to use the shelf as a cutting board also then I would not use oak as it is too porous and would house germs. A wood like alder is and just keep it sealed with cutting board oil.

I just went into store and found one that would work. Rounded the edges with a router and sealed.
I sure like your rounded edges. The stair step I got just has a rounded nose. I don't know anyone with a router and I don't know of any local wood shops around. Will have to do I guess.

I think there are many variables at play. Will the wood be exposed the sun for extended periods of time? If so your finish needs a UV rating, something like Spar Varnish. However if you plan to use the shelf as a cutting board also then I would not use oak as it is too porous and would house germs. A wood like alder is and just keep it sealed with cutting board oil.
Will be keeping her in the garage and probably only used couple times a month.

I sure like your rounded edges. The stair step I got just has a rounded nose. I don't know anyone with a router and I don't know of any local wood shops around. Will have to do I guess.

You can do rounded edges just by using your sander if you have one. Just rock the sander side to side while moving down the edge of the board untill you get the profile you like.

As for your poly/stain. Do a small sample section and see if it the out come is what you desire. If not then move on to something else that gets what you want. The only issue you'll have with a poly+stain is the more you add the darker the color you'll get. So keep that in mind.

Do your sample section on the side of the board you dont want showing. In other words the part that's going to be the bottom..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back