Stalled

Coonass in Texas

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Could someone enlighten me on what stalled means and what to do about it ?
Do you wait and still cook at same temp, or increase temp to get to internal temp desired ?
Sure hope some one can help, frustrated.
I'm using a Ret Teq Bull 700

Thanks

Do you wait and still cook at same temp, or increase temp to get to internal temp desired ?

Thanks
I'm sure someone else will jump in with a better explanation but...

Stall is pretty much "evaporative cooling" effect on the meat. It's sort of like sweating if you will.

Thanks
I've done both let it ride and increase the heat, you just have to wait the stall out to get the best results. I now start the cook a lot earlier than necessary and let it rest in a warmed up cooler with towels before serving if done early.

Last edited:
If you have the time, then yes leave it and it will brake through eventually. If you have a meal deadline then crank it up a little to push it through the stall. Not sure what you are cooking but if it’s a butt or a brisket and the bark is set you can wrap it to help push through as well.

Thanks

Stalling is when the meat your smoking reaches the max temp it will attain unwrapped. My pork shoulder stalled around 165°, I then wrapped it in foil and continued the cook at the same temp however the shoulder started to increase internal temp. Same thing with tri-tip, stalled around 160°, wrapped in pink paper and it got to the intended 195°.

I assume this is what you're asking about

Stalling is when the meat your smoking reaches the max temp it will attain unwrapped.
I never wrap butts and rarely wrap briskets and they all get to temp. It may take longer but they will push past the stall.

Stalling is when the meat your smoking reaches the max temp it will attain unwrapped.
Not quite. The meat will eventually rise in temperature. People wrap in paper or foil, or a pan wrapped with foil, etc, to accelerate the process, but it will happen without doing so if you wait.

As mentioned, the reason for the stall is evaporative cooling effect from moisture in the meat. It's normal and mainly an issue for cooking time.

I like more bark so I leave unwrapped and push through the stall. If bark is not as important or time is an issue, then wrap. I learned after a few cooks to start earlier. It'll stay warm in a cooler for a few hours. Complete personal preference.

Stalling is when the meat your smoking reaches the max temp it will attain unwrapped. My pork shoulder stalled around 165°, I then wrapped it in foil and continued the cook at the same temp however the shoulder started to increase internal temp. Same thing with tri-tip, stalled around 160°, wrapped in pink paper and it got to the intended 195°.

I concur...I wrap usually at 160 regardless to get through the stall (or potential stall) as well as retain some of that moisture in the meat. Maybe I'm a bad cook but I've never attained my best results smoking unwrapped the entire cook. (I have the RT-700 since April 2020...had a Traeger BBQ075 for about 12 years before that.)

Yesterday's Butt was on for 16 hours at 225. I trimmed 2.4 pounds off of its original 9.0 pounds (Chef Tom All Things BBQ) I brined it for 24 hours with Lanes Signature brine then injected the heck out of it with leftover brine. (Suzie Hey Grill Hey variation) Wrapped in paper when it hit ~160. After ~16 hours I increased heat to 300 for 30 minutes. Pulled at 195. Lots of great bark and juicy. Maybe all the extra moisture kept it in the stall for a long time.

Attachments

• 223.JPG
    223.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 70
  • 226.JPG
    226.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 69
  • 231.JPG
    231.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 69
  • 233.JPG
    233.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 63
  • 237.JPG
    237.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 66
  • 238.JPG
    238.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 60
  • 265.PNG
    265.PNG
    104.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 245.JPG
    245.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 60
  • 267.JPG
    267.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 59
  • 268.JPG
    268.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 60
Pulled it into large pieces and doubled dipped in homemade mustard sauce.

Attachments

• 269.JPG
    269.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 58
  • 272.JPG
    272.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 59
  • 274.JPG
    274.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 59
  • 275.JPG
    275.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 57

That's not exactly true. A stall is not the maximum temperature the meat will reach unwrapped. The internal temperature will eventually begin to rise after a period of time. Wrapping can somewhat shorten the time that it takes to get through the stall, but is not a must.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back