Stainless Steel Upkeep

Cali-Q

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
What are you all using to clean the stainless on the exterior of the grill?

For built up carbon, barkeepers friend(powder). For shiny any stainless cleaner.
If using a abrasive pad or scrubber go with the grain of the stainless.

Last edited:
So I see that Barkeepers friend is the way to go for the exterior of my Bull. Understanding that you have to polish it with the grain. Is cleaning while warm optimal or not significant? I searched the cleaning threads and didn't see that mentioned. Probably not a big deal but hey, just wondering.

So I see that Barkeepers friend is the way to go for the exterior of my Bull. Understanding that you have to polish it with the grain. Is cleaning while warm optimal or not significant? I searched the cleaning threads and didn't see that mentioned. Probably not a big deal but hey, just wondering.
Just ordered my first bottle of bar keepers friend. I'll see how it goes when i get it, Monday. ??

You can get bar keepers friend online but it’s only like $2.00 at the grocery. It’s with the other cleaners like comet. But don’t use comet, that’s really abrasive. I use the powered stuff over the liquid. It cleanse everything! Wine stains or food coloring on countertops, stainless cookware, bathtub Etc. It’s good stuff and cheap.

For really stubborn staining/charting I will mix the liquid BKF with the powder and make a paste out of it. Works great. They also have a BKF cookware cleaner that still contains Oxalic acid, but has other different cleaners in it. I think it works a little better than the regular BKF, but is several dollars more.

For really stubborn staining/charting I will mix the liquid BKF with the powder and make a paste out of it. Works great. They also have a BKF cookware cleaner that still contains Oxalic acid, but has other different cleaners in it. I think it works a little better than the regular BKF, but is several dollars more.
Do you use a green scrubby or just a cloth with BKF?

It depends on how stubborn the crud is. I will use a scouring pad, Scottbrite, or similar, but you have to be easy and go with the grain of the stainless, otherwise you will mar it up some. For light routine cleaning, I will use a microfiber or cotton rag.

We use BKF on our stainless appliances and tried it on our 700 but found that it left streaks. Based on earlier discussions, it was indicated that RecTeq recommends Cameo and I gave it a try. It works much better and does not leave streaks. I also use the microfiber cloth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back