St Patrick's Day/Corned Beef

jackm1184

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-300
Seen a few threads on smoking corned beef, but was curious if anyone has any advice on rubs. I have all of the recteq rubs -- but wasnt sure which one would be best for corned beef. Any recommendations?

Seen a few threads on smoking corned beef, but was curious if anyone has any advice on rubs. I have all of the recteq rubs -- but wasnt sure which one would be best for corned beef. Any recommendations?
For corned beef the first thing you will want to do is to soak it in water for a few days changing the water daily to remove the salt. After this is done its pretty much like cooking a brisket which can be a PITA.

For corned beef, I'd recommend a pastrami type rub of coarsely cracked black pepper and coriander seed...I usually go two parts pepper to one part coriander. There is plenty of salt already from the corning process and additional in the rub is not needed.

Classically, corned beef is smoked lightly, then steamed to tender, to make pastrami.

Over the years, I have probably corned more tri-tips than brisket. It's a nice cut that is more accessible in convenient size out here in CA than Brisket flat. At least in the stores I frequent. I've also smoked some of these corned tri-tips using pastrami style spice rubs. I did not cook them to 203F as I think they'd fall apart and tri-tip is not nearly as tough as brisket. So, I cook them to about 140-145F. They are excellent.

I just picked up a full corned beef brisket at RD.

If I can get it to fit in one of my pans I may follow the Traeger recipe above.

I have a 7lb wagyu corned beef from snake river farms that I plan to do this weekend. I might try that traeger recipe posted above also

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back