St Louis Ribs

Gonefishin

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I've been a BB ribs fan till Covid hit, can no longer find them at the local grocers so I started picking up full racks and cutting them down to St Louis Style. I have a question for any others who may have done the same. The original rack weighs about 5.5 lbs, after I trim it down I end up with a tad under 2.5 lbs of the rack, and 2+ lbs of the "waste" that gets turned into sausage. Does this sound about right? I'm trimming the rack so the little bones, or whatever they are, are not on the finished rack, see pic.

FWIW, we now prefer this style over the BB's.

Attachments

• ribs1 (1331 x 647).jpg
    ribs1 (1331 x 647).jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 100
I've been a BB ribs fan till Covid hit, can no longer find them at the local grocers so I started picking up full racks and cutting them down to St Louis Style. I have a question for any others who may have done the same. The original rack weighs about 5.5 lbs, after I trim it down I end up with a tad under 2.5 lbs of the rack, and 2+ lbs of the "waste" that gets turned into sausage. Does this sound about right? I'm trimming the rack so the little bones, or whatever they are, are not on the finished rack, see pic.

FWIW, we now prefer this style over the BB's.
That looks like what my final racks look like when I make full spares. I don't make sausage so I smoke the flap and the tips along with the ribs though and snack on them before supper.

I can't believe the price of baby backs. I looked the other day to buy 8 racks to smoke this weekend and quickly changed my mind when I saw they were about $7 a pound when I bought them 3 months ago for $2.60 a pound so I went with 2 racks of full spares for $2.49 a pound. Also scored two 8 pound butts for $1.29 a pound so the ribs and butts are what's on my menu this weekend.

I recently did some full spares and my wife raved about them being her favorite. Before this, he favorite was babybacks. I'm good with her changing her preferences. More diverse bbq'ing for me. ;)

Started doing St. Louis style last year because the BB were so high. I now prefer the St. Louis style. Wife still likes the BB.
Just bought a spare to try.

Go figure. I stated above that I got into SL style as I haven't run into any fresh BB's this year. Today I went to go get more full loin racks and they didn't have any, just BB's! Yes, I bought some, $4.99 lb, a dollar more then their full loins, when they have them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back