St. Louis pork ribs

Beerlord

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Gonna try my hand at St. Louis ribs tomorrow for my first rib smoke on my Bull. I think I've used it enough that its pretty well seasoned. Think I'll do the 3-2-1 method as that has always worked well on my old Traeger. Another first is I'm going to be trying some Kosmos rub and for the last hour, Kosmos sauce to glaze it up.
In the past I kept it at 250 (tho my Traeger got so bad temps were all over) and I'm thinking that should work fine this time as well. But, I'm open for suggestions.

I myself have never been a big fan of the 321. But hey if it works for you then yeah rock with it.

Just remember, BBQ sauces have sugar in them and sugar doesnt like high heat and will burn. But iam sure you already know that so just take this as a friendly reminder 😉.

250-275 is a good temperature. So sounds like your on your way to a successful cook... Its pretty difficult to mess up ribs IMO. Oh and dont forget to remove the silver skin off the back of slabs...

Actually, I looked at my notes and I was using 225 on the Traeger since it skyrocketted up so often but I think 250 is fine.
All 3 racks are 'cleaned' and rubbed and awaiting early tomorrow.
When I first started smoking ribs, I would just do 250 for about 5 hours, turning them once halfway thru. They came out good but wrapping and then saucing them just makes them so much more moist and easier to eat-falling off the bone. I could never get that with a more normal smoke.
However, maybe the next set of ribs, since I've got a new toy, I'll try another method and see how that works out.

Hey @Beerlord a little spritz every once in a while with some homebrew is off the hook.
I'll be doing ribs tomorrow, but my porter wont be ready for another week.
I've actually done that with some of the lesser, hoppy beers (I do like em hoppy) but completely forgot about it for a long while. Thanks for the reminder----just in the nick of time too!

I got the St. Louis ones from Costco. Ended up having a ton of gristle. Family hated em. Now only do the pork back ribs from Costco which are well received.

I got the St. Louis ones from Costco. Ended up having a ton of gristle. Family hated em. Now only do the pork back ribs from Costco which are well received.
I've had the same issues with the St. Louis from Costco plus the price has increased.
How do you get the silver skin off of the baby backs? I usually give up because I'm doing more damage than good. Getting the silver skin off St. Louis style ribs isn't a problem.
Thanks,
Chris

I've had the same issues with the St. Louis from Costco plus the price has increased.
How do you get the silver skin off of the baby backs? I usually give up because I'm doing more damage than good. Getting the silver skin off St. Louis style ribs isn't a problem.
Thanks,
Chris
Costco version has no membrane! Sams Club version does, I just use a butter knife and jam it between bone and membrane. Not terrible, but now I just buy Costco since I’m lazy.

Last edited:
@Beerlord congrats and welcome
@Hilbe
my wife and daughter prefer the back ribs also. I also use a knife to lift the silver skin then grab it with a rag or paper towel.

@Hilbe that explains it!
I told my BBQ friend that there wasn't silver skin to remove, you just confirmed it.
Thank you!

I can't say I can taste a difference between baby back and St. Louis when both are cooked properly. But, I can definitely feel the difference. That's why I do prefer to do the St. Louis ribs using 3-2-1 and often when doing baby backs, just smoke low for an hour than kick up the heat for 2 or so more hours and they're pretty much perfect for me.
I still learn something every time I smoke!

Had good luck with 321 for St. Louis ribs, but the baby back ribs seemed overdone using 321 at 250

Ribs were a big hit today. I went 45 minutes at 180 for a decent smoke, then 2:30 at 250, wrapped for 2 hours then the last hour unwrapped with some liquid love added. I had trouble taking them out of the wrap because they were so tender the bones were falling out.
My only pick is that I used a combo of Kosmos dry and Competition rub and I think I went too light. I'd like more heat but that's not bad for my first try on the 700.
Tender as can be so that part I know works fine. I just need to find the right combo of rub/pellets that give me what I want but man did I enjoy them. And I have leftovers!

I'm even thinking of making some stock with the bones to maybe save to use for a brisket point I'm doing for Christmas. Should help to make a nice injection.

If you insist on two hours wrapped, I would use butcher paper instead of foil. Two hours in foil will really soften them up, but maybe that’s how you like them. I gave up foil for butcher paper and will never go back for ribs and brisket. I do use foil for pork butt because it’s so thick and you want it soft to pull.

If you insist on two hours wrapped, I would use butcher paper instead of foil. Two hours in foil will really soften them up, but maybe that’s how you like them. I gave up foil for butcher paper and will never go back for ribs and brisket. I do use foil for pork butt because it’s so thick and you want it soft to pull.
I trust when using butcher paper there is no need to add liquids?

I use butter/honey/br sugar or just extra of whatever I'm spritzing with when using paper or foil. The paper is pretty soggy with the butter etc. It's my preferred route for ribs. Comes out a bit sweet as opposed to the apple cider/vinegar spritz.

I use butter/honey/br sugar or just extra of whatever I'm spritzing with when using paper or foil. The paper is pretty soggy with the butter etc. It's my preferred route for ribs. Comes out a bit sweet as opposed to the apple cider/vinegar spritz.
Same here. That plus a good liquid BBQ sauce really adds to the 'lick my fingers' enjoyment.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back