SS pan seasoning?

Alphonse

Grill(s) owned
  1. Matador
Anyone found a magic way to season the SS pan so the food doesn't stick to it so badly? Yes, I recognized that would be problematic when I bought it but just looking for some tips that may help.

BTW, I am using a 14 1/2" cast iron skillet, have the griddle, and will also buy a traditional WOK to go with it. I made some square tubing adapters to fit the burner shroud ring to hold the big skillet. All in all I like the quality of the burner and the pan. The burner is a bit anemic but is passable as is for me.

No thoughts on the seasoning that are not already in the link above, but why are mods needed for use with the Lodge skillet? I use a 17” Lodge on mine and it works great.

8DA33508-F97A-4AD3-A84F-54D4A4BD3351.jpeg

@Greg Jones, the adapters are made from 3/4" square tubing (heavy wall). I milled 1/8" slots in them so they fit on the burner support ring. I made four of them so they provide four support points.
PXL_20210123_233408833.jpg

I also aligned/leveled the burner support ring relative to the burner by adding a washer at the connection nearest the gas valves. I made the washer from some brass stock I had in my shop. Ignore the knurling on it, it was a cutoff of a piece of brass I had made for another project. I also changed out the cheesy screw that came with it to a higher quality SS button head.

PXL_20210214_180234073.jpg

Blackened redfish underway in the big skillet. I bought the Matador as a replacement for an outdoor burner I retired. The adaptation for this skillet was an important one for me. I use this skillet for blackened fish, making roux, etc.

PXL_20210213_014214093.jpg

@Alphonse I understand why you want to use smaller skillets on the Matador burner, as I do the same thing. What I don’t understand is why it was necessary to make your own supports when the stock burner support ring already has three supports for smaller skillets.

The big skillet barely reaches the outer support tabs intended for the Wok that came with it and is not stable. It quickly slides off one side and drops off the tabs on one side.

These pans work fine:
PXL_20210123_222239483.jpg

PXL_20210213_191847845.jpg

However this one doesn't work without the adapters to support it off the burner ring. Picture is not the best but I think you can see the issue. BTW, the pan is on the adapters I made but if you look at the tabs for the Wok, it would not stable in that position sans adapters. So it is the size of the pan that just doesn't work with the geometry without the adapters.

PXL_20210213_013332836.jpg

Gotcha, I understand now what your issue was. What now don’t understand is why I don’t have the same problem as what you had when I use my 17“ Lodge skillet that I pictured above. Too much snow and ice on it right now to check, but I’m going to check it when I can. I’m also going to check the burner alignment to the ring-I never considered that might be an issue. Thanks for the clarification!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back