Spice storage

Mikes351

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Not sure we're I seen this but it is a great idea ,A shoe holder that hangs on the door,
20220125_093131.jpg
my wife finally has her spice cabinet back 😎

I’ll be the contrarian here; I don’t keep very much prepared rub on hand because spices lose their true flavor fairly quickly. And, I rarely use a commercial rub, preferring to make my own from some long-used recipes.

My preference is to buy smaller quantities of the various spices and use them up quickly. There is a noticeable difference between fresh spices and ones that have been around for a while, especially if they have been opened.

Just my preference; YMMV.

Yeah, but how do you know how old the spices you are buying are?

I never noticed dates on them....then again, I have never looked. Most spices are good for 1-4 years...dried herbs being on the lower end of the scale.

Most commercial rubs are mostly salt, which is good indefinitely.

Yeah, but how do you know how old the spices you are buying are?

I never noticed dates on them....then again, I have never looked. Most spices are good for 1-4 years...dried herbs being on the lower end of the scale.

Most commercial rubs are mostly salt, which is good indefinitely.
If you check the bottom of the spice container, you will find a “best by“ or “use by” date printed directly on the container or on a label affixed to the container. And, I try to buy the smallest amount of spice consistent with the amount I will need for immediate use. That way, I get the most consistent product possible.

Is it cheaper to make your own rub or cheaper to purchase? Say based on about $15 a pound. I know it would depend on what recipe you use but I’m just talking about in general would I save any money if I made my own rubs. I would think you could mix up ten pounds or so in a batch and freeze it until you need more.

Is it cheaper to make your own rub or cheaper to purchase? Say based on about $15 a pound. I know it would depend on what recipe you use but I’m just talking about in general would I save any money if I made my own rubs. I would think you could mix up ten pounds or so in a batch and freeze it until you need more.
If you are asking me, I have no idea. The cost of the rub (to me, at least) is insignificant compared to the cost of the meat and the time needed to cook it.

My preference is to make rub, injection liquid, sauce, etc. in small quantities, keeping it as consistent as possible. I think I get as much enjoyment out of making—and tweaking—recipes for those things as I do cooking the meat.

When cost becomes a factor, I’ll probably just go to one of a couple of good BBQ joints in the area and buy dinner. :ROFLMAO:

If you are asking me, I have no idea. The cost of the rub (to me, at least) is insignificant compared to the cost of the meat and the time needed to cook it.

My preference is to make rub, injection liquid, sauce, etc. in small quantities, keeping it as consistent as possible. I think I get as much enjoyment out of making—and tweaking—recipes for those things as I do cooking the meat.

When cost becomes a factor, I’ll probably just go to one of a couple of good BBQ joints in the area and buy dinner. :ROFLMAO:
Well, brisket is close to $30/lb at the good joints around me!!

Well, brisket is close to $30/lb at the good joints around me!!
Heck, if I factor in my “shop rate” for an 18-hour brisket cook (plus brisket cost, wrap charges, thermometer calibration, pellet fee, clean-up charge, etc.), my brisket is probably well north of $100 a pound. :ROFLMAO:

Heck, if I factor in my “shop rate” for an 18-hour brisket cook (plus brisket cost, wrap charges, thermometer calibration, pellet fee, clean-up charge, etc.), my brisket is probably well north of $100 a pound. :ROFLMAO:

You forgot the bomb costs

I guess I would be the cheap guy on the block. I don't have any wrapping charges, no thermometer is used, just 40/lbs of LJ pellets and prep time and cutting time. My only time cost during the cook is me changing the temp about half way thru.

When it comes to "Rubs" and Spices, I'm pretty much in the K.I.S.S. Camp
We'll use them in most all of our cooking ..... not necessarily just for Smoking, so we go through them fast
Black Pepper Corns, Ancient Sea (Rock) Salt, Diced Dehydrated Garlic and Diced Dehydrated Onion, each in their own Grinder, kept in the Spice Cabinet
Bulk Containers of each stored in the Pantry

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back