Poultry Spatchcock Chicken with Roasted Red Potatoes

navydroid

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Trailblazer
Spatchcocked Whole Chickens. Covered with Mayo, then rubbed with your favorite spice. I used a Bacon Chipotle rub on one and Durty Gurl on the other. 375° for about an hour until 165°. I turn it up to 400° after the hour until done.

Roasted Red Potatoes. Tossed in olive oil and covered with Freakin Greek rub. 400° for 30 to 45 minutes.

Spatchcock chicken is certainly on my short list of wanting to try. Looks great @navydroid!
Youve never spatchcocked a chicken before? You will love how it comes out!!! you get to season it from both sides and In my opinion...the smoke penetrates into the meat alot better!

Thats the only way I do whole chickens now!!

@navydroid That all looks utterly fantastic!!

Here is one I did not too long ago...

Youve never spatchcocked a chicken before? You will love how it comes out!!! you get to season it from both sides and In my opinion...the smoke penetrates into the meat alot better!

Thats the only way I do whole chickens now!!

@navydroid That all looks utterly fantastic!!

Here is one I did not too long ago...

Spred your wings and try a spatchcocked turkey - they are fantastic!

Navy and NU2, man you guys are killing me. Those are fantastic.. I know they were cooked last month, but does not change the fact they look awesome. I have mentioned I do not cook many high temp cooks on my 680, but the last one was spatchcocked Cornish hens. Now you guys have me thinking I need to get back to the spatchcocked cooking. Maybe even a turkey as Dan mentions.

Spatchcocking turkey requires a good set of kitchen shears, your regular ones for the chicken will not work without major frustration. I use Olive Oil as a binder for seasoning, then use the seasoning of the day. This will produce a very moist bird (even the breasts). Remember that peeking is cheating, use your probes so you are not opening the lid.

Brine 1st, spatchcock the bird, then cook at 450 for 1 hour + 10 minutes (15lb bird) remember 165 in thigh. Make sure your thighs wings are rotated out and away from the bird while cooking.

Last edited:
Hello all,

Tried spatchcock chickens two weekends ago using the above recipe (navydroid) and just wanted to say thanks, as they turned out great, also did the roasted red potatoes, and some corn. I did brush on a little BBQ sauce for the last 30 minutes. My GF says it is about the best thing I’ve done on the grill. As a bonus while I was looking for a good recipe, I saw the contest for the #8 Field skillet, so I threw my name in the hat, and lo and behold, I won. So thanks again, Eric

EM-Chick1.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back