Sous Vide

PSU-85

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Any forum members out there own a sous vide immersion circulator. I’ve toyed with the idea of buying one for a year or two but couldn’t justify the $200 price tag while wondering how much I would really use it. There’s a lot more competition and prices have come down but are the low price units reliable, provide constant temperatures without sounding like a jet taking off. Many of the units have Bluetooth and wifi. Are these essential options or just add ons that drive up the cost?

Any forum members out there own a sous vide immersion circulator. I’ve toyed with the idea of buying one for a year or two but couldn’t justify the $200 price tag while wondering how much I would really use it. There’s a lot more competition and prices have come down but are the low price units reliable, provide constant temperatures without sounding like a jet taking off. Many of the units have Bluetooth and wifi. Are these essential options or just add ons that drive up the cost?
I thought about this too but haven't got one yet. There are groups over on FB for sous vide.

Sous Vide is a excellent way to make ordinarily tough pieces of meat into a very good piece of meat. I have done Chuck roasts for up to 48 hrs and they turn out like prime rib.
Juiciest chicken I've ever had in my life. Steaks take them to your 125° or so and then a hot sear. Very good way to warm things or keep warm.
I have Anova brand.
20190118_180536.jpg

I have the Anova model. I use the unit all the time for steaks and pork tenderloins. The process itself is really nice to have at your disposal. I never use the connectivity part of it. I don't think it's super important. I would buy a nice unit without wifi and spend the money on a vacuum sealer. I use the vacuum sealer waaay more than I ever imagined.

I also have the Anova. Mostly use it for steak, but it does chicken and salmon well too. I did not have a vacuum sealer until recently, and would agree that it is a very worthwhile investment.

I have the Anova sous vide Precision Bluetooth Wi-Fi cooker. It was about $90 from Amazon. The concept is very simple so I would say you don't need Bluetooth or Wi-Fi it's just a convenience. You basically set a temperature and let it run and that's all it does. I've had it for about two years and I love it for things that I don't want to wreck like good steaks boneless lamb etc. I tend to cook meat in it to the desired doneness and then sear it on the grill. When I purchased it, the list price was $199 but it was on sale on prime day for just 80. I think current prices are around $80-$100 range. The only extra thing I would suggest purchasing is a container and lid that has a cut out for the cooker. That will make it easy to use and prevent evaporation over longer cooks. In fact, I just cooked New York strip steaks in it last night and they came out phenomenal, finishing it on the grill. As for noise, you only hear the water pump circulating the water, and in my opinion, it is very quiet. Mine is probably as loud as my refrigerator fan.

I bought the Anova unit on a Black Friday sale a couple years ago. I’ve used it two or three times for steaks. It makes really nice steaks. However now that I have the Bull I’m doing my steaks reverse seared on it and I like them better that way. Still has the same tender interior. If you have a particular need for the immersion circulator go for it. If you’re just trying to make a killer steak just reverse sear it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back