So the waiting begins... And some questions

keithd

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Just placed my order for the recteq Bullseye and a cover. Wonder how long shipping will take, especially in light of the holidays. Ah well, no rush.

So I was thinking about ordering either the Grill Grates or the $65 cast iron grate that folks recommend. I'm leaning towards the cast iron grate, would the GG be any better?

Also saw pizza stones discussed here. What diameter are y'all using? I saw a couple on Amazon, one was 5/8" thick, the other was 3/4". Seem to be about 14-16" in diameter, is that large enough?

Someone posted a pic of a Bullseye with baby buggy-looking wheels, anyone know which ones and how they're attached on the front?

Funny thing about my though process for deciding on a Bullseye. I was looking at something huge and expensive, even considered the BFG but if I did it would be quite some time before I was ready to buy and I realized that right now I'm not cooking for a catering service. I have a Pit Boss Copperhead 5 if I needed to smoke a dozen racks of ribs, but that happens almost never. What I like about the Bullseye is that it seems like a Weber Kettle in a few aspects but the convenience of a PID pellet grill. The all-stainless body they recently changed to looks really nice.

I'd like to get one of those aftermarket competition carts but it seems they are almost always sold out and the wait list is hard to get on.

Just placed my order for the recteq Bullseye and a cover. Wonder how long shipping will take, especially in light of the holidays. Ah well, no rush.

So I was thinking about ordering either the Grill Grates or the $65 cast iron grate that folks recommend. I'm leaning towards the cast iron grate, would the GG be any better?

Also saw pizza stones discussed here. What diameter are y'all using? I saw a couple on Amazon, one was 5/8" thick, the other was 3/4". Seem to be about 14-16" in diameter, is that large enough?

Someone posted a pic of a Bullseye with baby buggy-looking wheels, anyone know which ones and how they're attached on the front?

Funny thing about my though process for deciding on a Bullseye. I was looking at something huge and expensive, even considered the BFG but if I did it would be quite some time before I was ready to buy and I realized that right now I'm not cooking for a catering service. I have a Pit Boss Copperhead 5 if I needed to smoke a dozen racks of ribs, but that happens almost never. What I like about the Bullseye is that it seems like a Weber Kettle in a few aspects but the convenience of a PID pellet grill. The all-stainless body they recently changed to looks really nice.

I'd like to get one of those aftermarket competition carts but it seems they are almost always sold out and the wait list is hard to get on.
I agree, it's a perfect charcoal kettle replacement. Keep the kettle just in case.

Hard to say on the shipping time, but I’d say you will be lucky if it even ships before next week. Most of the Bullseyes ship by UPS, or so it seems, so of course then it depends on how far you are from Georgia.

I’ve owned a set of Grill Grates for probably 12-13 years now, love them. I’ve only owned one cast iron grate in the past (for a BGE) and didn’t care for it at all. It was harder to clean, harder to keep from rusting even when well seasoned, and I gave it away. Lots of people love them on their Bullseye, but cast iron also heats up much more slowly than SS or enameled grates. Is it a noticeable difference on the Bullseye? I’d want to know that.

On a pizza stone, pick one at least as large as the largest pizza you will be wanting to bake. I think mine are 14”. A lot of people don’t find them necessary on the Bullseye, but I stick with them because I have a lot of experience baking on them.

Almost forgot, Welcome!

Greg,
I purchased the Aura cast iron grate for my Bullseye. No issues to note with heat up time but maybe some temperature stability. If this grate cracks I'll probably go SS next.

Order Shipped
Order number 551-Sxxxx

Dear keithd,
Thank you for shopping at recteq.
Your order has been shipped and will be delivered soon.

So ordered yesterday, shipping notice sent today. Happily unexpected due to the holidays. :)

So it came in a couple days ago, started putting it together last night.

Mine does not seem to have the lid spacer included. Many people have reported that they did not get one. Is a spacer necessary, or have Recteq made a revision where they're not including them anymore?

In the package with probe it's a small L that mounts with handle screw.

Wow, there it was. Thank you!
Some days it's a wonder how I manage to make it out of bed without hurting myself... :sleep:
You are most welcomed, glad I could help. Enjoy 😁

Are the lower shelf ends threaded properly? I got some nuts that I saw recommended on a FB page, 5/16-24 and 3/8-24, but neither fit. I don't want to use the included caps if I can help it.
Thanks!

Are the lower shelf ends threaded properly? I got some nuts that I saw recommended on a FB page, 5/16-24 and 3/8-24, but neither fit. I don't want to use the included caps if I can help it.
Thanks!
They are metric threads, M10 x 1 fine thread for the wheel axle and M8 x 1 fine thread for the smaller axle. I’ve assembled two Bullseyes now and I’ve used these push-on caps, available from Lowe’s, on both. The push-on caps don’t thread on-they are more like the caps that ship with the Bullseye, but better.

Attachments

• 63E2A406-33E0-4968-80C4-223DBD77C195.jpeg
    63E2A406-33E0-4968-80C4-223DBD77C195.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 87
Thanks GJ!
I had intended to use acorn nuts, but I might make the trip out to Lowe's and just use the caps.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back