Snow?

BigDog

Looking to do an over night pork butt cook but we are looking to get about 4 inches of snow. Should I cook or wait?

Thanks

Ive cooked with that much snow and much colder with no cover. Like @Greg Jones said, expect higher pellet consumption but it will chug along just fine.

EDIT: I guess it is noteworthy I have a 700 and not a 590 so your results may vary.

I would put a long piece of foil across the top of the grill, weigh it down however you see fit.
The snow melting on an unprotected flat top of the 590/1070 would cause undesirable effects.
Maybe dripping on your food, maybe flood the burn pot, maybe overflow your grease tray.
If you're not a peeker - the foil cover should do the trick.

Well I woke up this morning to this:
20230125_080215.jpg

Butt was 168 F and ready to wrap by the way when did we start wrapping pork butts?

20230125_080230.jpg

Also trying a blend of Lumber Jack and charcoal for fuel.
20230124_171847.jpg

I just started wrapping with paper. I'll allow that it may have been luck - but it was the most moist and falling-apart butt I've ever cooked. I've got a 500' roll, so I'll continue to wrap and hope it wasn't a fluke.

Did the grease bucket fill up with water from the melting snow? How do you like those pellets?
First the cook turned out great. The pellet combination was great. I think I will try some ribs next to get a better feel for them. My bucket dud get some water in it but only about a 1/4 full.

Looks GREAT BigDog
I wouldn't argue those results

We cook (a lot) in the Snow every Winter
The Bull's out in the Elements, and we've only had one cook that had an issue .... a flame-out
31 Dec, 2022, Momma's Birthday Prime Rib, and I think it was because of a hard rain that splashed up into the Fan area
It started out just fine, then quit somewhere in the middle of the first couple hours 😞
Then it started snowing, so I was able to finish the Cook before midnight
So technically, She was still able to get some Prime Rib on Her Birthday ;)

If you're worried about Weather and cold Temps, you can always get a Welding Blanket for those cold overnight Cooks .... a lot of Folks have, and it seems to work for them
We do have the RT Winter Cover, and it does keep the Pellet use down on a super cold Overnight
BUT .... it's not good for Cooks over 350 / 400, and we do a few 400+ Cooks a winter

As for Wrapping the Pork Butts .... we do Wrap
And when we do, we add a good slathering of Smoked Lard to the (Foil) Wrap 🤗

Looks GREAT BigDog
We cook in the Snow every Winter
The Bull's out in the Elements, and we've only had one cook that had a flame-out
31 Dec 2022, Momma's Birthday Prime Rib, and I think it was from a hard rain the splashed up into the Fan area
It started snowing, so I was able to finish the Cook before midnight
So technically, She was still able to get some Prime Rib on Her Birthday

If you're worried about Weather and cold Temps, get a Welding Blanket for those cold overnight Cooks
We do have the RT Winter Cover, and it does keep the Pellet use down on a cold Overnight
BUT .... it's not good for Cooks over 350 - 400

As for Wrapping the Pork Butts .... we do Wrap
And when we do, we add a little Smoked Lard

.Lots of snow here in Michigan currently. I have gotten lazy and dont cover. It does mess a lot with the cook chamber temps. Only advice (although it looks like you dont need it.) is that i used to trust the RT probe for my temp. In wintery/snowy/windy weather I put two more in. So i have three probes inside for temp to get a real total cook chamber temp estimate.

I did a Prime Rib for xmas where the RT probe said it was 250 inside and on temp. But when you looked at my two others at the grill level they were both closer to 200. Major difference and helped me explain why after 2 hours my meat was still sitting at 80 degrees. I had to crank the RT up to over 350 to get an internal hold temp of 275 to finish it.

I would not recommend using most welding blankets to keep it warm. I have several I use for welding and the amount of fiberglass dust that flies off of them when moved is something I would not want floating around while cooking food.
I use a blanket specifically made for grills so no fiberglass floating in the air.

IMG_3400.JPG

I would not recommend using most welding blankets to keep it warm. I have several I use for welding and the amount of fiberglass dust that flies off of them when moved is something I would not want floating around while cooking food.
Good point about the fiberglass. I noticed some when I first bought my welding blanket and after a few good shakes I've not seen any at all.

What size louisiana blanket did you buy for your RecTeq?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back