Snack Sticks & Smokebox Mod

rgreenberg2000

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I've never made snack sticks, but after a successful batch of Kabanosy (thin, smoked, polish sausage) that was my first experience with sheep casings, I decided I need to give it a go. Here's what I ended up with as a recipe:

500g Pork shoulder (ground through 7mm plate)
500g Beef, lean (ground through 7mm plate) -- I used some of the Picanha I ground up a couple weeks ago
1.75% Kosher Salt
.25% Cure #1
.7% Cayenne Pepper
.3% Garlic powder
.25% Black pepper
.25% Sugar
.2% Guajillo powder
.2% Mustard powder
.2% Onion powder
.15% Nutmeg
7.5% Ice water

All of the above got mixed with gloved hands until very tacky. The meat was super cold, so I knew I had mixed long enough when my fingers hurt! :)Once mixed, I let it chill in the fridge while I set up my small cast iron stuffer, and prepped the casings. Once all that was ready, I stuffed everything into the casings (I had some issues here that had to do with the stuffer I don't usually use, so only managed to get half of the mix stuffed.....the leftovers will get made into patties.) I tied the links off into what turned out to be lengths that were too long, and let them dry uncovered in the fridge overnight. This am, they got 2 hours of smoke at about 145F, then I poached them to finish (154F) in a sous vide bath. Cooled them in ice water, cut into stackable lengths and ate one. YUMMY! Great flavor, pork/beef mix is just right, and a hint of heat from the cayenne. I'll make these again.....in a bigger batch! :)

This also served as a test of my mod to the Smokebox. I noticed in some previous smokes when I was hanging sausages that the lower third of the links got substantially less color in the smoke. My theory is that this was because airflow in the box goes pretty much straight from the outlet of the main chamber to the smokestack since they are at the same level, and close to each other. I bought a 3" OD, 90 degree stainless pipe (intended for exhaust applications), wrapped the outside of one end with a length of lava lock to keep it in place, and inserted it into the outlet from the main chamber. With the exhaust facing toward the door and down, it forces the smoke to more thoroughly circulate in the box. It seemed to accomplish my objective, but I'm not convinced it will be my final setup, as it does stick out into the chamber a bit far for my taste, and could interfere with a much bigger load of meats.

My baby stuffer:

1611521895032.jpeg

Stuffed and coiled:

1611521907613.jpeg

Smokin':

1611521920574.jpeg

Ready to eat:

1611521943347.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back