Stampede Smoking tube

SMielke

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I'm currently smoking a pork loin, I am trying to use my tube filled with jack Daniel's smoking chips to add a little flavor along with the pellets. I can't keep the tube smoldering I don't know if it's because it's not at a high enough temp or because I don't have it blocking the air flow. I am currently sitting at 225 on the grill. Any recommendations would be appreciated it's too far into the cook for this loin but for future cooks.

20210406_092638.jpg

I use a small torch to get the pellets lit. After they light I let them burn for a min. or so, then blow flame out.

I’ve had problems trying to use wood chips by themselves. I’ve had good success mixing chips and pellets but now just use pellets.
I start the tube with a heat gun and let it burn 5-10 minutes then blow it out and lay it down.

I'm currently smoking a pork loin, I am trying to use my tube filled with jack Daniel's smoking chips to add a little flavor along with the pellets. I can't keep the tube smoldering I don't know if it's because it's not at a high enough temp or because I don't have it blocking the air flow. I am currently sitting at 225 on the grill. Any recommendations would be appreciated it's too far into the cook for this loin but for future cooks
Move it to the left, closer to the probe opening and leave the little door open.

I use a propane torch as well. I always start the smoke tube first as it takes awhile to get it started. I've also found that if you leave the probe door open just a bit, it seems to help.

Funny thing about leaving the probe door open-I‘ve seen others suggest that in the past but when I tried that, it appeared that all of the smoke from the tube was being forced out of the probe door? This was on the RT-340, perhaps it works better on the larger grills.

I light it with my torch and blew the flame out after 5-10 minutes. I lit it at 210 and blew it out once my grill reached 225

I'm currently smoking a pork loin, I am trying to use my tube filled with jack Daniel's smoking chips to add a little flavor along with the pellets. I can't keep the tube smoldering I don't know if it's because it's not at a high enough temp or because I don't have it blocking the air flow. I am currently sitting at 225 on the grill. Any recommendations would be appreciated it's too far into the cook for this loin but for future cooks.

View attachment 9415

Just to clarify - do you have only wood chips in the tube, or a mix of chips + pellets. My understanding is that tubes are meant to use with pellets. Chips on their own may need more to stay lit. I've heard of folks using a mix of chips + pellets in a tube, or putting chips on the heat deflector.

Just to clarify - do you have only wood chips in the tube, or a mix of chips + pellets. My understanding is that tubes are meant to use with pellets. Chips on their own may need more to stay lit. I've heard of folks using a mix of chips + pellets in a tube, or putting chips on the heat deflector.
I was just using chips. I will try a mix next time I smoke.

I stand it up on a non combustible surface and somewhere where if it tips, won’t cause a fire. Then use a torch to light the top. Once it starts to burn good, let it go for about 10min. Then put out the flame and lay it in the grill carefully. I’ve never had any issues using this method and the pellets will burn down all the way.

Try something like this so remains elevated, only need the front one. Big washers at bottom to keep from going through grates. Sorry, thought you were using pellets in tube also.

Attachments

• 350321-82739b1c40b60cc0804a223c214816b5.jpg
    350321-82739b1c40b60cc0804a223c214816b5.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 95
I was just using chips. I will try a mix next time I smoke.
That might be it. I'm not certain, but suspect chips need more heat to keep going - also to get from one chip to the next. In my electric smoker, they went in right above the heating element. On my gas grill, they'd be in a foil packet over direct heat.

Let us know how the mix with pellets works out.

Greg, on my 700, I leave the probe door open less than a quarter of the way and with the smoke tube about 4 or 5 inches from the side of the grill near the probe door. I think my original response said "open just a bit" and I should have been more clear. Anyway, I've now done 5 cooks using the smoke tube and I don't recall seeing any some coming from the probe door, just the normal places, drain valve and smoke stack.

I use my Weber Genesis ll side burner. Fill the tube with pellets and set it over the flame while I wait for my 590 to get to temp. Usually 10 or so minutes. Works every time and no issues with smoke tube going out.

Smoking chips need a heat source to smolder I think. Better to use pellets which produce a lot of smoke no problem. Use a torch to light as others have said.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back