Smoking the turkey on the 590, advice please:-)

ModernRec

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I had a smoked turkey when I was overseas and it was the best I had. The turkey sat in the smoker for about 2 hrs then it was transferred to the oven and that's what I would like to do. The game plan is setting the 590 up at 225 with apple wood, and getting about 2 hrs on it and placing in the oven at 325 till she's done. I'll be sitting the turkey in a brine overnight also, which after the first time I've done that I refuse to cook a turkey without an overnight brine.

I don't wanna ruin thanksgiving so I'm definitely looking for input :unsure:

Is 2 hrs long enough, or should it be 2.5-3hrs?

So i just made a command decision, and I'll run it this way unless im convinced not to lol. 3 hours of smoke, then i'll finish in the oven at 350 for a few hours or until i hit my target temp.

my smoker daddy heat diffuser is due to arrive tomorrow or wednesday , really looking forward to that up kick in smoke flavor.

wood smoke and pellet smoke are 2 different beast. i like the light smoke flavor from the recteq. i had many stick burners in the past, the flavor was good but it started getting to bark tasting to me.

i would do as any cook, smoke it on the 590 for 2 hours then turn the heat up, all depends when you want it done. good teqing to you and happy thanksgiving.

wood smoke and pellet smoke are 2 different beast. i like the light smoke flavor from the recteq. i had many stick burners in the past, the flavor was good but it started getting to bark tasting to me.

i would do as any cook, smoke it on the 590 for 2 hours then turn the heat up, all depends when you want it done. good teqing to you and happy thanksgiving.
You sir are correct! different profiles, but both are nice depending on the meat being cooked. pork butts i started adding chunks on the top of the diffuser, hence why i bought a heavy D. but I will smoke for 3hrs then move it to the oven to finish.

You dont have to finish in the oven. For turkeys I prefer the heavier smoke so i cook them in the kamado but if you planned on doing in recteq then oven, just run it in the recteq at 325 till done. If you want a little heavier smoke, then run it on low for an hour or so then crank it up to 350 at let it finish. I shoot for 325 on the other grill but an happy with any number between 325 and 350.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back