Smoking meat forums

Email sent out by owner. Fire near where the server is and some water damage. Down for few days.

Email sent out by owner. Fire near where the server is and some water damage. Down for few days.
Ouch.

I wonder if they have backups at all? I would think they could spin up a new server fairly quickly and restore from there.

Good evening,

I just wanted to let everyone know that the website at smoking-meat.com and the forum at smokingmeatforums.com are both out of commission at this moment and for an undetermined amount of time.

Apparently there was a fire/power outage where our servers are located and there is some water damage from the suppression system.

We have emergency back ups and everything will be restored once the all clear is given.

We are watching this carefully and hope to have this back online soon.

From Jeff Phillips

Good evening,

I just wanted to let everyone know that the website at smoking-meat.com and the forum at smokingmeatforums.com are both out of commission at this moment and for an undetermined amount of time.

Apparently there was a fire/power outage where our servers are located and there is some water damage from the suppression system.

We have emergency back ups and everything will be restored once the all clear is given.

From Jeff Phillips
I can't speak for all but typically server farms have a dry system for fire suppression.

Good evening,

From Jeff Phillips
Makes me wonder if their backups were being stored at the same datacenter.

That's not one of the best ideas.
Full disclosure I know nothing about their server and/or backup configuration. It's a lot easier to make comments from the sidelines than to be dealing with their issue(s) first hand.

But yeah, backups in the same datacenter isn't the best idea, lets hope that's not the case. And even though I'm not a member there I hope they get back online soon.

Appears the forum is hosted by Cloudfare with no outages reported?

Appears the forum is hosted by Cloudfare with no outages reported?
Cloudflare isn't a webhost. They provide a number of services that many sites use, including this very site, but web hosting is not a service they offer.

Cloudflare is handy for a large number of reasons from optimizing website content delivery, to even protection against attacks. In order to do this the host name (in this case smoking meatforum) gets pointed to cloudflare first, they filter it and then forward it on to the actual host.

Cloudflare isn't a webhost. They provide a number of services that many sites use, including this very site, but web hosting is not a service they offer.

Cloudflare is handy for a large number of reasons from optimizing website content delivery, to even protection against attacks. In order to do this the host name (in this case smoking meatforum) gets pointed to cloudflare first, they filter it and then forward it on to the actual host.
Thanks for the clarification.

This isn't looking promising on a quick backup restore. :(

1617911512420.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back