Smoking meat forums

That's crazy.
I must admit that the generators I've seen at Verizon, AOL, and Amazon are massive and impressive.

SMF.JPG

Looks like they are back up and running again. Here's their link on what happened, in case anyone is interested. SMF

Interesting they mention sprinklers were activated. I wonder if that term was generically used to refer to a FM-200 or gas system, of if it was actually a wet system.

Anyway, this has been an interesting thread, I use computers a lot but never have really given much thought in data centers, website hosts and such. Thanks for the education in it all.:)

From Jeff Phillips:

Happy Weekend!

It's been a crazy week that I won't forget for a while.. the server that housed the smoking-meat.com website and the forum at smokingmeatforums.com was involved in a fire and subsequent sprinkler system to put out that fire.

It took most of the week to get everything off of the old server and loaded onto our new server.. a lot of that was just waiting since we were dealing with a lot of red tape like fire and power inspections!

Anyway, I am happy to report that the smoking-meat.com site is back online in full force and, as of last night (late), the forum is finally back online.

Thank you to ALL of the people (you know who you are) that helped with this process and together got it back online with zero data loss.

These are learning experiences!

I'd like to give a little encouragement to you to go check out the forum, if you're not a member, go ahead and register. It doesn't cost a thing.

We have 131 thousand members to date and millions of comments, questions and answers on smoking meat, smoking/grilling equipment, building your own smokers and outdoor kitchens, etc. and so much more in an easy to search format.

All of this is made possible by the ads that are served on the sites, the affiliate partnerships with products that we love and, of course, revenue from our very own rubs and the sauce that we sell.

While this has morphed over the years into a way for me to support my family, I try to be a good steward of what has been placed into my hands and none of it would work without ALL of you!

My ultimate aim is to deliver more than I promise.. if you ever feel that we aren't doing that, let us know. That's how we improve.

You guys and gals are the best!!

From Jeff Phillips:

Happy Weekend!

It's been a crazy week that I won't forget for a while.. the server that housed the smoking-meat.com website and the forum at smokingmeatforums.com was involved in a fire and subsequent sprinkler system to put out that fire.

It took most of the week to get everything off of the old server and loaded onto our new server.. a lot of that was just waiting since we were dealing with a lot of red tape like fire and power inspections!

Anyway, I am happy to report that the smoking-meat.com site is back online in full force and, as of last night (late), the forum is finally back online.

Thank you to ALL of the people (you know who you are) that helped with this process and together got it back online with zero data loss.

These are learning experiences!

I'd like to give a little encouragement to you to go check out the forum, if you're not a member, go ahead and register. It doesn't cost a thing.

We have 131 thousand members to date and millions of comments, questions and answers on smoking meat, smoking/grilling equipment, building your own smokers and outdoor kitchens, etc. and so much more in an easy to search format.

All of this is made possible by the ads that are served on the sites, the affiliate partnerships with products that we love and, of course, revenue from our very own rubs and the sauce that we sell.

While this has morphed over the years into a way for me to support my family, I try to be a good steward of what has been placed into my hands and none of it would work without ALL of you!

My ultimate aim is to deliver more than I promise.. if you ever feel that we aren't doing that, let us know. That's how we improve.

You guys and gals are the best!!
Thanks for posting this. (y)

I haven't read anything on the site, but that line above reads to me like the same concerns I had earlier... either they didn't have backups (if pulling data off the old server) or the backups where residing in the same datacenter.

Glad they are back online for their sake, hopefully it's a lesson learned.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back